HELP! Tachometer for chainsaw tuning

Robpm

Active OPE Member
Local time
12:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did some searches on tachometers but I could not find what I was looking for. I saw people bought tachometers but no real discussion around them.

I have found that the Oppama Industry Ltd https://www.oppama.co.jp/tachometer-eng seems to be a good tachometer but very expensive. It also seems like some companies like Echo private labeled their PET-304 tachometer. I learned, if what I heard was right, that Husqvarna used one of their tachometer as well. I do not know where Stihl gets theirs from or if they make their own. They all are expensive. Some links of what I have found:

https://www.amazon.com/Oppama-Pulse-Engine-Tachometer-PET-304/dp/B008G48TXC @ over $70

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1954224639...-a426-66293bd448da|iid:1|vlpname:vlp_homepage @ over $117

Then it looks like another company is making a look-a-like of the Oppama here:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Tach...ff8-4ed7-8c0f-1c3ea495c74c&pd_rd_i=B0C8JK92B8 for a whole lot less money but again what is the quality like and how does it perform?

The Stihl tachometer is like $100 as well.

It also looks like you cannot replace the battery in any of these. They give you 20k hours and then they die. I guess at that point I would crack them open, they of course will lose their waterproof rating and maybe it would be easy to replace the battery then.

If any of you have a good recommendations on a tachometer I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Rob

Robpm

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The STihl EDT-9 goes for around $90 - over $100. I also see that there is a ProLine brand as well going for in the $40 range with shipping costs. Any comments on that brand. They are selling on Ebay. Then there are some real cheap ones as well. I am willing to pay for the better brand if there is a true difference.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
9:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the OPE forum @Robpm.

My experience with small engine tachs is limited to the cheap eBay/Amazon wired $10 variety. It works fine once settings are changed for 2stroke(default was 4stroke). Been using it for a few years now. My only complaint is the time it takes to wrap the sensor wire around the spark plug wire.

I'll probably be getting the pro line wireless tach someday...I hear good things about them.

Again,welcome to the forum. Good to have you here. Cheers 🍻

Steelie90

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the Electronic specialties 328 tach. Want to say it’s around $50 and the batteries can be replaced. It works greats, but it is bulky compared to the once you mentioned. It also does multiple cylinder and 4 stroke. So if you have snowmobile, mowers or auto it works!

Robpm

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks all for the welcome and also for the advice on the tachometer. The fast tac is pretty much the same price as the other ones and is $140 off of Amazon. One pretty good thing is you can replace the battery which you cannot do with the others. I found it for a couple dollars cheaper with shipping for $105.95 from here https://www.eetc.org/

Robpm

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the Electronic specialties 328 tach. Want to say it’s around $50 and the batteries can be replaced. It works greats, but it is bulky compared to the once you mentioned. It also does multiple cylinder and 4 stroke. So if you have snowmobile, mowers or auto it works!
Looks to be over $80 as well from the manufacturer but $50 like you said on Amazon. And like you said large. But it looks like a pretty good tach. I bought the other one. Hopefully it will do well.

SEGARE

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not cheap. Buy once, cry once.

For the win

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you talk about a holder on your bar to you mean the bar for the chain or something else?
The other fellas got ya squared away, I see. The holder is very handy. I sometimes set it up, just to see what rpm I am running in the cut, out of curiosity.

Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
7:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

bretts

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a decent wireless tach for under $100NZD available?.

Robpm

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a decent wireless tach for under $100NZD available?.
Look at post # 5 and #12 have one that is not as expensive. It is made in china and then I make note of the ProLine in post #2 which is not super expensive. I do not know what the exchange rate is from the NZD and the $US.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The STihl EDT-9 goes for around $90 - over $100. I also see that there is a ProLine brand as well going for in the $40 range with shipping costs. Any comments on that brand. They are selling on Ebay. Then there are some real cheap ones as well. I am willing to pay for the better brand if there is a true difference.
I have the proline. It works fine.