ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That one is in nice shape but not worth $4,000. A pro sharp isn't even worth that. That clapped out one he wants a starting bid of $2,000.

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That one is in nice shape but not worth $4,000. A pro sharp isn't even worth that. That clapped out one he wants a starting bid of $2,000.
I wholeheartedly agree just throwing it out there. Prices have gotten silly for these grinders. I have a Silvey 510 I bought years ago for 150 bucks. I wish I had been smart enough to buy a square grinder then.........

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If some one wants to send one to me to make drawings, or make drawings and send those to me, I can quote it through our shop, start making em.

I'm not paying two g's for a chain grinder, but I'll spend a couple g's to get our shop to where we can make them........

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Fork me! You're not wrong though:

Shaft width:
20201206_133520.jpg
Wheel width
20201206_133604.jpg

And flange width on my simington 451...20201206_133647.jpg

Lots of vibration when I run it because there is way to much slop to keep that flange centered. I haven't called them yet and I'm sure they will make it right but damn its disappointing on a brand new out of the box machine.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If some one wants to send one to me to make drawings, or make drawings and send those to me, I can quote it through our shop, start making em.

I'm not paying two g's for a chain grinder, but I'll spend a couple g's to get our shop to where we can make them........
take one of those "Gs" and pay shawn carr for consulting. he can draft/print you up a better grinder and might be able to show you "why"...
the opportunity in this space is custom "profiling" of the wheels. the best grinder is pretty average.with a weak profile on the wheel...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are RSIIs going for these days?

Surprised that someone has not come out with a low cost square grinder. They must not think that the market is big enough to justify the costs. However, if they could produce something for, say $700 retail, the market would expand, IMO.

Philbert

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are RSIIs going for these days?

Surprised that someone has not come out with a low cost square grinder. They must not think that the market is big enough to justify the costs. However, if they could produce something for, say $700 retail, the market would expand, IMO.

Philbert

That would be hard to pull off in todays world without going out of business quick. I've thought about designing a grinder that wouldn't step into patent infringement and also be effective and not super complicated. Be hard to sell a quality grinder with different processes in manufacturing it and be under $1,000.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Silvey's patents have likely all expired. Just speculating, but I think that their issue is the reversible, horizontal grinding wheel did not meet UL standards, so liability insurance could be impossible to get. You might come up with a totally different design on your own, starting with a 'clean sheet' approach.

Another issue is copy-cats: one thing to get a design patent, and another to defend it. If the market is small enough, or your design has some complicated parts, it might not be worth it to compete. But if you come up with a simple design, and the market grows, you can bet someone will mail one to Asia and ask someone there to counterfeit it until you run out of money for lawyers.

Philbert

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm not really interested in making a ton of money with these, if we could cover our cost and get them in the hands of guys that'll want them, thats cool with me. We discussed this in another thread at some point, if I had one here I would already being pricing this out. I am not against shamelessly copying a no longer produced machine, like I said its just see we can get them for less than $2000.

I do this kinda stuff for a living now, I can get the parts made or sourced, I can make solidworks models, bill of materials etc, we may end up with some fabrications or machined parts in place of the castings but I know we can make it. Lets just do it.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The question is which model to copy? SDM-4 or the pro sharp, or the razor sharp..... no point in doing a swing arm for obvious reasons.

Looks like the razor sharp 2 could be made from modifying an existing swing arm and making the new vice mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Silvey's patents have likely all expired. Just speculating, but I think that their issue is the reversible, horizontal grinding wheel did not meet UL standards, so liability insurance could be impossible to get. You might come up with a totally different design on your own, starting with a 'clean sheet' approach.

Another issue is copy-cats: one thing to get a design patent, and another to defend it. If the market is small enough, or your design has some complicated parts, it might not be worth it to compete. But if you come up with a simple design, and the market grows, you can bet someone will mail one to Asia and ask someone there to counterfeit it until you run out of money for lawyers.

Philbert

How is that but simington has no problem?

K Mueller

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I highly doubt those grinders will sell for those prices, but you never know. My dad sold his SDM-4 a few years back for $1800. I seen another mint one sell for the same. I sold my well used one a couple months back for $800 (looked about like the one listed for $2000)
If you think the markets there, id go for a SDM-4 or a improved RSII. Is there really that great of a demand for chain grinders? Not a lot of hand falling going on compared to 10 years ago. Plus, if I was in the market for a grinder, there is nothing wrong with a Simington. I know a lot of professional cutters using them. I feel like part of the reason guys want the Silveys is the history behind them. That’s what my old man used, I remember being out in the shop grinding chains with him when I was just a little kid.
The thing the Silveys got going for them is that they are really consistent and super smooth!
I have a Madsens catalog from 2008. Pro Sharp is listed at $2099.