Manual grease guns

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
11:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so I blew the shop grease gun up today... been doing some research. I personally own a Lincoln that I really like 1134 or some such
It’s the heavy duty model they offer. Damn good gun.
I couldn’t decide whether to get another one or try the alemite 555-e.
Came down to price. Found an alemite for a hair under 40 shipped.
What grease guns do any of you guys use.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
10:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the lincoln 1134 with a LockNLube. Comes in handy when greasing baler and tractor not having to hold both gun and hose.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We use an Alemite lever gun with 6’ hose and the Univerco lock on coupler if we aren’t greasing a lot. It doesn’t have the lever like the Lock n Lube couplers have.

On big jobs like bush hogs, disks, dozers, excavators, etc., we use the 20v DeWalts. I’ve thought about getting an air setup for the shop, but we usually are in the field except for when we do routine maintenance in the winter.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had quite a few of them over the years, mostly tool truck re-brands. I've always found that, at least for automotive and OPE use, the quality of the hose and nozzle makes more of a difference than anything else. Currently using a cheap one (Plews I think) with the big lever on the side with a long hose and better quality nozzle. Good grease fittings make a huge difference too. The fittings on my Bush Hog finish mower were a very tight fit on the nozzle and didn't like to take grease. Put some Lubri-Matic fittings on there and all is good.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it depends on what your using it for as to what it the best option. For some greasing many things daily the cordless battery ones would make life easy. The trigger style are good for low pressure where you can inject a shot with one hand. For heavy duty higher pressure the longer lever styles are good and achieve around 10,000psi but two hands aew needed. I got a Toledo H/D lever that has been good but I find my little chainsaw H/Held 1000psi one very useful too. Small enough to put in a little tool bag and you can screw a small hose/coupler onto them. Many guys like the trigger style though.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the lever style with a long hose best. The lever seems to put more force into it, useful when greasing something that has been dry for awhile. I have a really nice pistol grip Cornwell grease gun that is plugged up, need to figure out what the deal is with it.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 on alemite brand. Haven’t found I liked after I ran one of those.

2stroke800

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know its not a hand pump, but i have been running a dewalt 20v grease gun for a few years now and love it. Plus it runs on the same batts as the rest of my other power hand tools. The dewalt has held up better than any of the other batt powered electric guns i have been around (lincoln!!) and costs half as much..

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know its not a hand pump, but i have been running a dewalt 20v grease gun for a few years now and love it. Plus it runs on the same batts as the rest of my other power hand tools. The dewalt has held up better than any of the other batt powered electric guns i have been around (lincoln!!) and costs half as much..
We have three now and the only issue we have had was one had a screen get clogged up. Didn’t know it was there, but the vendor we use did. Washed it out with gas and she hasn’t let us down since. We had switched to a different grease that was super thick in the winter. We swapped back and haven’t had a problem.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had quite a few of them over the years, mostly tool truck re-brands. I've always found that, at least for automotive and OPE use, the quality of the hose and nozzle makes more of a difference than anything else. Currently using a cheap one (Plews I think) with the big lever on the side with a long hose and better quality nozzle. Good grease fittings make a huge difference too. The fittings on my Bush Hog finish mower were a very tight fit on the nozzle and didn't like to take grease. Put some Lubri-Matic fittings on there and all is good.

Exactly, buy a good quality but not pricey gun and spend the extra $ for a heavy duty hose with wound spring strain reliefs and a top quality coupler and you won't regret it

RocketRoss57

Taco Bell Aficionado
Local time
8:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alemite. With the lock and lube. love them. We just switched over to all alemite 20v electrics from the older Lincolns. Good guns. Electric or manuals. The lock and lubes are the shizz too.

2stroke800

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a alemite 596 for a short while. burned it up, shop warrantied it, and burned up the second one both in about 3 months. They really didnt like greasing large heavy equipment.. and they are still 100-200 more expensive than a dewalt depending on where ya find them. The shop we got ours at warrantied the first one but wouldnt the second because apparently the warranty is only good for one replacement or some bs.. they wanted us to mail it back to the manufacturer for any further possible warranty dealings. We had good luck with the lincolns but the batts would wear out and stop holding a charge crazy fast. And the damn lincolns are 500 bucks a pop!! Crazy! Ive had the dewalt for a few years and it is a champ! In the middle of winter it still stuffs grease into the long cold metal lines up the boom on our big excavators to reach the knuckle pins and never flinches. Lotsa lube makes for happy hoes! Haha