Mall Model 5

bplust

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi all,

I picked this rig up two years ago, and finally got it unstuck three nights ago after adding penetrating oil to the combustion chamber on a weekly basis. 200cc's... it's a big one.

P1130353.JPG P1130355.JPG P1130356.JPG P1130359.JPG P1130360.JPG

Ray Bell

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That is a monster. We're there saws made larger than 200 cc? What do you think it is going to take to get it running?

bplust

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That is a monster. We're there saws made larger than 200 cc? What do you think it is going to take to get it running?

Yes, there were much larger machines than 200cc's.

Regarding getting it running, it needs the normal stuff (seals, fuel line, carb work, ignition work) and the top two rings are frozen.

bplust

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Very very nice looking Model 5 - that will be a great original machine when you have finished with it!

Chris

Thank you, Chris. I was very fortunate to find one, especially in this condition. The fuel tank is in excellent condition, and beyond a little welding on the handlebars and a tiny bit of chain rash on the transmission, there is nothing cracked or broken on the saw.

I just pulled the jug an hour ago. I knew it'd be closed port due to the external transfer caps, but I was very surprised to find a single piece rod and a full round crank. I will admit that I'm a newbie to saws of this vintage; case and point, I used #5 starter cord as a piston stop for removing the flywheel and clutch. It took 11 feet of cord to finally stop the piston...

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, there were much larger machines than 200cc's.

Regarding getting it running, it needs the normal stuff (seals, fuel line, carb work, ignition work) and the top two rings are frozen.

so much different from normal saws I didn't even notice the three rings :)

bplust

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you look closely at the shot of the piston with the tape measure, you can see that in lieu of locating pins, when machining the ring groove, they left a bit of meat in the groove the locate the ring ends. Pretty cool stuff.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look closely at the shot of the piston with the tape measure, you can see that in lieu of locating pins, when machining the ring groove, they left a bit of meat in the groove the locate the ring ends. Pretty cool stuff.
and then there is the shape of the top of the piston :)