High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Makita EA7900P45E Or Dolmar

G

Greenerpastures

Hi everyone

Looking about I can get a Makita EA7900P45E for the right money.
First off, are they the same as the Dolmar in all but colour or are
they a cheaper spec and build quality or are they an off shoot that
differs signivigently.
Am wondering if anyone is using one or has any experience of one.
Does this saw have a tamper proof carb that can be adjusted a little
with the special tool, or is it like the Dolmars I see in that they are fully
accessible and adjustable.
And lastly, I'm assuming with such a large saw one would go at least
for a 3/8" chain, if so, what Gauge is best suited to such power.

Looking forward to hearing your comments,

Thanks & Regards, john

Last edited by a moderator:

Roost426

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Howdy I am sure much more experience folks than me will be a long shortly, but yes the makita 7900 is exact same as dolmar besides color! Also 38 is to much bar I believe for regular use on a 7900 32"max, not saying it CANNOT pull the 38 but you will want more power for that and it can have issues oiling past 32. I think 28" is a great bar for them, I have a 20" and 28" for mine and switch depending on wood size.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy I am sure much more experience folks than me will be a long shortly, but yes the makita 7900 is exact same as dolmar besides color! Also 38 is to much bar I believe for regular use on a 7900 32"max, not saying it CANNOT pull the 38 but you will want more power for that and it can have issues oiling past 32. I think 28" is a great bar for them, I have a 20" and 28" for mine and switch depending on wood size.

Agreed. Same saw. I think the OP meant 3/8 chain, not 38, in which case, yes, 3/8 pitch chain is correct. Gauge doesn't really matter. Buy what's available locally. I run 3/8 in .050 and .063. Bars bigger than 28" might benefit from .063 gauge chain because it oils better, but any smaller than that it's no big deal.

G

Greenerpastures

Thanks for comment, I changed my post to reflect it was a 3/8" pitch chain, not bar length.
I wont need more than a 20" and will use as short as possible, enough weight without carrying
baggage.

Thanks for commenting, john

Roost426

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice, yea the 7900 is awesome with a 20", tears through anything with authority! I have heard folks on here saying changing to an 8 tooth sprocket will cut even faster with a 20", but you may not be able to "lean" on the saw as much in the cut because you lose some torque in exchange for chain speed.

Last edited:

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only put a couple of tanks through my 7900. It had an 8 pin rim on it when I got it. With a 20" bar in frozen oak it was alright. I think in softwood it'd be perfect. My buddy who is a tree service guy used the 7900 with the 8 pin and didn't like it. Thought it was gutless. The next week we were cutting frozen oak again and i had swapped it out for a 7 pin. I touched up the chain too, but just a couple swipes to keep the edge where it should be. He ran the 7900 again and when he put it down he wouldn't shut up about it. Just kept raving about how great it was.

That's the extent of my experience with 7 vs 8 pin rims on that saw so far.

Roost426

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yea maybe I should pick up an 8 pin and try it. Over here I don't really have any hardwood to cut, mostly cutting douglas fir, cedar, hemlock, alder and soft maples.

G

Greenerpastures

I 've only put a couple of tanks through my 7900. It had an 8 pin rim on it when I got it. With a 20" bar in frozen oak it was alright. I think in softwood it'd be perfect. My buddy who is a tree service guy used the 7900 with the 8 pin and didn't like it. Thought it was gutless. The next week we were cutting frozen oak again and i had swapped it out for a 7 pin. I touched up the chain too, but just a couple swipes to keep the edge where it should be. He ran the 7900 again and when he put it down he wouldn't shut up about it. Just kept raving about how great it was.

That's the extent of my experience with 7 vs 8 pin rims on that saw so far.
Thanks Ryan Browne
I looked at a lot of video on the 7900 and though they will do my job with plenty left over,
my impression is they are not as remarkable for their cc's as their smaller siblings, the 6100 impresses me
a lot more as does the 6400 though a little heavier in the kg department.
The thing is I can get the 7900 for the same as the 6100, and more cc's should result in a smaller load
on any saw all else being equal.
I would like to strip both to their inners, for something is pushing the 6100 along very well compared to
the 7900, not saying the 7900 is a bad saw.

On another note, someone says the oil pumps give bother, has anyone experience with them, they look
like nylon drives and saw one in another language torn apart showing the small gear worn out.

Would love to hear more information on these saws before I commit.

Thanks to all, john

G

Greenerpastures

Yea maybe I should pick up an 8 pin and try it. Over here I don't really have any hardwood to cut, mostly cutting douglas fir, cedar, hemlock, alder and soft maples.
Hi Roost426

Looking at some video of the 7900 I do not think it would be suitable on larger sprocket,
there is one video on youtube where it cuts against a Stihl 440, though I know nothing of
how well matched the two saws are spec ways, to me the Stihl is better, but probably for the
price the Makita will be a lot cheaper .

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
3:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7900 will run an 8 pin no problem with a 20" if you're forcing it hard enough to stall it with a 20" you need to sharpen better. I've run them modded with 9 pin on 28" full comp

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Ryan Browne
I looked at a lot of video on the 7900 and though they will do my job with plenty left over,
my impression is they are not as remarkable for their cc's as their smaller siblings, the 6100 impresses me
a lot more as does the 6400 though a little heavier in the kg department.
The thing is I can get the 7900 for the same as the 6100, and more cc's should result in a smaller load
on any saw all else being equal.
I would like to take down both to their inners, for something is pushing the 6100 along very will compared to
the 7900, not at saying the 7900 is a bad saw.

On another note, someone says the oil pumps give bother, has anyone experience with them, they look
like nylon drives and saw on in another language torn apart showing the small gear worn out.

Would love to hear more information on these saws before I commit.

Thanks to all, john

I can't comment on the oil pump, though I've heard of an issue there as well. The 6100 and the 7900 are completely different saws. The 7900 is a basic 2-stroke. The 6100 is a strato-charged motor with a reed valve. In short, there's nothing you can do to make the 7900 run like a 6100.

I've heard that the 6421 hits hard for its size, but the 7900 is the strongest Dolmar until the 9010, no two ways about it. I have one as well as an ms440 and ms460. The Dolmar is as strong as either of them and much smoother. Not 100% sure on weights, but they're all pretty close.

Honestly, if all you ever need is a 20" bar, the 6100 might work for you. For the same price, though, the 7900 is quite a bit more powerful. Also, it is regarded as haying one of the best power to weight ratios on the market.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried 8 pin in oak and didn't like it.

Not that my Dolmar PS-7900 didn't pull it, on the contrary.
Problem was that the chain didn't take a proper bite in the hard wood at the increased chain speed - especially knotty oak, would chatter unpleasantly.

Dolmar PS-7900 with a 7 pin and 20" round filed chisel chain, Dolmar 099/Oregon 73, is unstoppable - noodles great too! :cool:

While picking up a 79'er be aware that she's a thirsty gal, but she makes up for it in many ways. ;)

I use .058" gauge, it is a common size here in Europe and it serves me well.

My Dolmar PS-7900 will pull and oil a 36" B&C, no idea what all the fuss regarding insufficient bar oil throughput is about.

My Dolmar PS-6400 won't budge with a 20" B&C buried in beech or oak - 7 pin sprocket of course.
The PS-6400 requires significantly lesser fuel than the PS-7900 does.
Just thought I mention it.

G

Greenerpastures

I can't comment on the oil pump, though I've heard of an issue there as well. The 6100 and the 7900 are completely different saws. The 7900 is a basic 2-stroke. The 6100 is a strato-charged motor with a reed valve. In short, there's nothing you can do to make the 7900 run like a 6100.

I've heard that the 6421 hits hard for its size, but the 7900 is the strongest Dolmar until the 9010, no two ways about it. I have one as well as an ms440 and ms460. The Dolmar is as strong as either of them and much smoother. Not 100% sure on weights, but they're all pretty close.

Honestly, if all you ever need is a 20" bar, the 6100 might work for you. For the same price, though, the 7900 is quite a bit more powerful. Also, it is regarded as haying one of the best power to weight ratios on the market.
Thanks Ryan Browne
Very interesting to hear the difference in the two saws, the 6100 just seems very good for what it is,
people pit it against the Husky 562 where it fails, but the reason is simple, the Husky has a longer stroke
and from what I read it certainly has the guts to out cut the 6100, but when the 6100 is still going I see a lot
of reports regarding the Husky having a short life, read on youtube where one guy had lots of trouble with them,
first one cracked a piston,
the long stroke is too long and is the reason for the trouble, good saw if you either run it at lower rpm, but
that leaves it no good to work with, a big boat engine with a long stroke is a good idea as it runs slow.

I only need an 18" bar, and most of the time less, so unless I hear bad things about the 6100 I might just
go this route, I could later on put a bigger top on the 6100 if it gave in, even only up to the 6400 size, same
carb would do.
The fact the 6100 is the same price is telling me something, wonder if the 6100 Dolmar and the 6100 Makita
or the 7900 Makita are made in the same factory, or are the Makita made lets say over seas.

Thanks for the info & Regards, john

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
... I only need an 18" bar, and most of the time less, so unless I hear bad things about the 6100 I might just
go this route, I could later on put a bigger top on the 6100 if it gave in, even only up to the 6400 size, same
carb would do.

The fact the 6100 is the same price is telling me something, wonder if the 6100 Dolmar and the 6100 Makita
or the 7900 Makita are made in the same factory, or are the Makita made lets say over seas.

Thanks for the info & Regards, john
The PS-6100 has no bigger top end!
Not to my knowledge.

The PS-6400 can be upgraded to 73, 79 or 84 cc, where the 84 cc P&C is AM!

The PS-6100 is more expensive because it is a more modern design!
My PS-6400 is built 2001. and my PS-7900 2003. - no mayor changes over the years other than the coil and SLR muffler!
Now that says something about a product.

G

Greenerpastures

I tried 8 pin in oak and didn't like it.

Not that my Dolmar PS-7900 didn't pull it, on the contrary.
Problem was that the chain didn't take a proper bite in the hard wood at the increased chain speed - especially knotty oak, would chatter unpleasantly.

Dolmar PS-7900 with a 7 pin and 20" round filed chisel chain, Dolmar 099/Oregon 73, is unstoppable - noodles great too! :cool:

While picking up a 79'er be aware that she's a thirsty gal, but she makes up for it in many ways. ;)

I use .058" gauge, it is a common size here in Europe and it serves me well.

My Dolmar PS-7900 will pull and oil a 36" B&C, no idea what all the fuss regarding insufficient bar oil throughput is about.

My Dolmar PS-6400 won't budge with a 20" B&C buried in beech or oak - 7 pin sprocket of course.
The PS-6400 requires significantly lesser fuel than the PS-7900 does.
Just thought I mention it.
Thanks Wilhelm
Pleased to hear someone mention fuel, that question was on my mind too.
I sold my 372XP which was good on fuel, and as am not cutting for big money
every cent counts, for people on a good cut for their days work may be not so,
but for me it is a real concern.
Good to hear too regarding another aspect of the bigger drive, hopping sure is not cutting.
When you say "My Dolmar PS-6400 won't budge with a 20" B&C buried in beech or oak - 7 pin sprocket of course.", Do you mean it works well, or has not the power to keep free and cutting.

Thanks, john

G

Greenerpastures

The PS-6100 has no bigger top end!
Not to my knowledge.

The PS-6400 can be upgraded to 73, 79 or 84 cc, where the 84 cc P&C is AM!

The PS-6100 is more expensive because it is a more modern design!
My PS-6400 is built 2001. and my PS-7900 2003. - no mayor changes over the years other than the coil and SLR muffler!
Now that says something about a product.
It sure does, but just to be clear are you talking about the Dolmar 7900,
or is your saw a Makita 7900, to me, a mechanic of old, the Dolmars just
seem to have more constant power output, or may be am loosing it.
Have you any idea how long a tank of fuel last in the 7900 ?
lets say cutting 16-18" into logs until refuelling time again.
Here is a link to the7900 am looking at, https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...93084-79Cc-2-Stroke-Petrol-Chainsaw-450Mm-Bar
Thanks for posting the links, will have a look through them.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Wilhelm
Pleased to hear someone mention fuel, that question was on my mind too.
I sold my 372XP which was good on fuel, and as am not cutting for big money
every cent counts, for people on a good cut for their days work may be not so,
but for me it is a real concern.
Good to hear too regarding another aspect of the bigger drive, hopping sure is not cutting.
When you say "My Dolmar PS-6400 won't budge with a 20" B&C buried in beech or oak - 7 pin sprocket of course.", Do you mean it works well, or has not the power to keep free and cutting.

Thanks, john
The way I use my saws while bucking I get about 45 minutes work time per fuel tank on my PS-6400 against 30 minutes when using my PS-7900.

If I make a specially aggressive chain for my PS-7900 to utilize her power, the approximate work time goes down to about 20 minutes.

Both saws set up with 20" 72DL .058" 3/8" B&C, round filed chisel chain!

The PS-6100 is praised to be more fuel economic than the PS-6400 is, hence more modern design.

What I hoped to say was that a PS-6400 wears a 20" B&C very well, she'll keep cutting with a 20" bar buried in oak.
I have to check whether I have clips on YouTube sporting my PS-6400!

If all You'll ever need is 20" and below, than a PS-7900 is complete overkill - but fun nonetheless.
I wouldn't wanna miss my Dolmar PS-7900, but my all time all-round main go to saw is my Dolmar PS-6400!

I am not making any money cutting firewood either, I'm just a homeowner firewood hack! :)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sure does, but just to be clear are you talking about the Dolmar 7900,
or is your saw a Makita 7900, to me, a mechanic of old, the Dolmars just
seem to have more constant power output, or may be am loosing it.
Have you any idea how long a tank of fuel last in the 7900 ?
lets say cutting 16-18" into logs until refuelling time again.
Here is a link to the7900 am looking at, https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product...93084-79Cc-2-Stroke-Petrol-Chainsaw-450Mm-Bar
Thanks for posting the links, will have a look through them.
Fuel consumption mentioned in my previous post! :)

Makita 7900 is Dolmar 7900, just blue vs. red!

The Makita in the link You posted is a Smurf colored Dolmar PS-7910.
The 5.7HP is a giveaway as the original PS-7900 sports 6.2HP.
Removing the kittycat from the muffler should help regain the power loss.

All parts are interchangeable between the Makita and Dolmar saws of identical model design!
The build quality should be the same irregardless whether Smurf blue or fire red!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
P.S.: Original Dolmar/Makita 7900's are no longer made, only NOS ones can be found.
All newly manufactured 79k's are basically 7910's - but they don't differ much from their predecessors and are still mostly nicknamed 7900! ;)