Looking for ideas on how to fix bar/chain problem - cutting a curve

Cheato

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have sharpened the chain and filed the bar rails flat, but I am still getting a curved cut to the left. I checked the specs on the chain and bar and everything seems to be appropriate. The chain does not wiggle in the bar grove (a little, but seems pretty tight). Maybe it's time to retire both and get a new chain and bar??? Any more things I should be looking at?

Thanks

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everything needs to be even to have the best chance of cutting straight. Depth gauges need to be all the same shape, and same height relative to each tooth. I like to at least have each pair of right and left teeth equal in length, but prefer all teeth are equal length. All teeth need to be sharp on the top and the outer side, all sharpened at the same angles, all sharpened with the file at the same height which affects the sharpness and feed rate the teeth try to dig into the wood. The bar rails must be an even height, the groove not too wide, the bar not warped. It may be possible for a worn bar with closed rails to end up with an out of square groove.

When I was less experienced with sharpening, I would get a new chain once they started cutting crooked beyond my efforts to correct, and sometimes a new bar was needed too. It can be easy to miss dull side plates on the cutters since we normally look at the top edge and corner for sharpness, but a dulled side edge will make it cut crooked. A rock or something could have dulled the side edges on one side of the chain.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Post a couple pics of the chain from top and side views on bar , to get better idea what’s going on possibly.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bars groove is too shallow and Your chains drive links bottom out!
Check that, I had it on a couple of my bars - it is the flip side of dressing a bars rails.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
3:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is an easy fix. Getcha one of these:
https://westcoastsaw.com/products/depth-plate

Or:
img_0466-jpg.63691

babf7533-540c-4f54-a580-b59f809a788c_1.e77820eefcae0b554f72caaa308e8661.jpeg

(in the proper pitch of course)

They'll get you back to cutting straight. If you use one of those that sit across several cutters, ALL of your cutters must be at the same length to cut straight. The progressive style adjusts each to it's specific tooth, so all of one side can be completely worn back and the other can be brand new, after using the plate, chain will cut dead straight. Been there after hitting metal while milling several times.

Cheato

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you to everyone for their quick responses. I have done the rakers/depth gages with the Husky guide. I will relook at the chain sharpening (I did get the gullet!) I will check the depth of the rails more extensively (the couple of places I did check it was .5 inches.) I get back to everyone after gun deer season in WI. Opener tomorrow! :) Thanks again and I will update in about 10 days.