Husqvarna CCC Ebay Store DHS Online Store

Logosol

Discussion in 'Milling' started by SpaceBus, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Lightning Performance

Lightning Performance Here For The Long Haul!

Local Time:
    4:20 PM
    If it works it works.
    Seen many people running full chisel full comp chain that complain about slow cuts. They need to learn what a sharp chain is if your semi chisel or chipper chain cuts faster than full chisel anything.
    If your going to test chain on the mill in softwood go big and go aggressive with a big power head. If you go with a tiny power head just cut yourself some hyperskip. Finding the right amount of cutters you can pull is a game... maybe a game of attrition when it comes to underpowered chainsaw mills. The commercial portable alaskan or Logosol type mills are mostly overpowered cutting most logs most times.
    I found working over the saw itself to pull down low goes a long way in picking up speed and using a more aggressive cutter if you can pull it. Then you have to clear the chip without jamming it which requires some rpms well above where it feels like bogging is occurring. More cutter tooth face angle tends to take less power away to a certain point. It all depends on how many cutters and of what type you have in the wood. Testing chains with less is sometimes more. Worry about the quality second is my general rule. 10/10/60 cuts smooth and feeds nicely, leaves a nice finish but is painfully sloooow! on chain of any cutter type.

2. SpaceBus

SpaceBus Super OPE Member

Local Time:
    I don't think there will be anything faster out of the box than the Stihl 63PMX or the Archer 3/8LP. I've considered ordering the Carlton N1C, but that costs more and comes pre ground to crosscut profiles. I'm going to try the Granberg approach with half scoring cutters and half clearing cutters. Maybe even making every third cutter a scoring cutter. I think a couple of test loops in 60DL and a few in 84DL will be worth it. Perhaps the Granberg style doesn't make a difference with the short bar, but helps a ton on a long bar. Might be worth it to make some videos comparing Carlton 30RP vs the Archer LP vs cutter modifications if there ends up being any difference.

If I'm able to get some customers then profits will be invested into getting my 395 ported or sending in a new big saw and keeping my current 395 as a backup saw. The faster I can mill the more I get paid per hour.

Stihl Potlicker likes this.
  3. Lightning Performance

Local Time:
    I've decided it will be by the hour flat rate or the day for milling. They want either fast or smooth because you rarely get both in large hardwoods.

Stihl Potlicker and SpaceBus like this.
  4. SpaceBus

Local Time:
    I'm thinking about charging a bit more for hardwoods. Unfortunately I have few, if any, mill sized hardwood trees on my property to see if they are any slower to mill.

5. Lightning Performance

Local Time:
    Bet your ass they are much slower to mill. Dry stuff is brutal to mill over 60 years old. Densely packed dry wood grain is the real deal milling.

SpaceBus likes this.
  6. SpaceBus

Local Time:
    Then I'll definitely charge a bit more per BF for hardwoods, just because of the increased wear and tear on the saw and chain.

7. SpaceBus

Local Time:
    @Stihl Potlicker how did you get the log lifters to sit perfectly flat? All of mine are sitting high towards the end. The vertical legs are square, as verified with my speed square. I also emailed Fox Forestry, but I will probably have to call them to figure it out.

8. SpaceBus

Local Time:
    Put together a loop of the Archer chain today and made three passes on a 6x6 Tamarack cant I had left over. Made some 2x4's and an ugly 2x6. The 3/8LP is definitely faster than the regular 3/8. I can see how it might be hard on the bar nose, but it is replaceable on my TsuMura bar. Definitely worth the increased speed through the cut. I did do a dumb thing and joined the chain missing one cutter. The chain cuts pretty ugly, but I think that's because my log lifters are not square and the chain is still new.

Stihl Potlicker likes this.
  9. SpaceBus

Local Time:
    I'm thinking about getting some 3/8 LP in crosscut profile for my 460. With a shorter bar it would be more bearable to use. I do have a lightweight TsuMura bar for .325 .050 and two loops with barely any use. Might be better to just convert the 460 to .325 and run that setup.

After looking into the part apparently I need special tools to swap it over. Might be worth having my local logging company do it for me.

10. Stihl Potlicker

Stihl Potlicker Super OPE Member

Local Time:
    any luck