Jonsered 670 champ intake leak

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you decide you want to put a 272 top end and keep the 670 carb you just have to drill a hole in the 272 intake block and add a nipple.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
David, You got some good tips here from heavy hitters. I'm being the missing clamp camp too. @huskihl makes a good point on brass dressing for a more compress fit on boot to carb. I do what @Czed does also as reassurance to a good deal and let it set up for a day. I prolly have a boot too if needed. Did you pull it out of the manifold to look for tears?? They do crack//tear on the bottom side from crankcase casting//machining.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
8:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Boot looks great. So does inside the cyl…

maybe the plastic is warped, see pics. C3C7BBB5-8C48-41C6-B146-AB47D1B00788.jpeg5602602C-8E57-43AA-90DA-08412F41E7CC.jpegA3D5E30B-8109-4A5A-B367-E68D2C9CDBE7.jpeg

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
fixed the leak. Lots of choke time and yanking to start…runs weird, stalls off rev. Clear Lines bubble and go dry…think it’s carby kitty time.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gents, there are two intake systems on these 670's. (same goes for the 625). The wire clamp was replaced around 1989 with the band clamp. Clearly visible in the early pics. Steve; what are you looking at? :)

But to make things more fun, it wasn't just the clamp that was changed. The boot obviously needed to be changed as well. And in order to accept the new boot, even the cylinder casting was changed, getting a longer intake neck. The new cylinders have a ++ cast into them.

There are some interchangeable option, but I don't think it goes both ways. The new boot can be used on the old cylinder providing you also use the wire clamp. Definitely not room for the hose clamp on the early saws.

I agree that the switch to a 272 top end doesn't accomplish much if anything over a good 670. It's a good option though if the 670 kit is toast, and a great option for a 625.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gents, there are two intake systems on these 670's. (same goes for the 625). The wire clamp was replaced around 1989 with the band clamp. Clearly visible in the early pics. Steve; what are you looking at? :)

But to make things more fun, it wasn't just the clamp that was changed. The boot obviously needed to be changed as well. And in order to accept the new boot, even the cylinder casting was changed, getting a longer intake neck. The new cylinders have a ++ cast into them.

There are some interchangeable option, but I don't think it goes both ways. The new boot can be used on the old cylinder providing you also use the wire clamp. Definitely not room for the hose clamp on the early saws.

I agree that the switch to a 272 top end doesn't accomplish much if anything over a good 670. It's a good option though if the 670 kit is toast, and a great option for a 625.

I didn't have my glasses on, thought I could squint it through. o_O Lol

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Spike60 would you school us on the return line on the carb? My spare tank only has one fuel line port and a compressed brass vent.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that a moly coated piston as well? If so yes she has made some roundy rounds LOL!

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah those pump tabs/flaps (the little tombstone shaped sections) are standing a bit off of that carb body. Makes it a b#### to get one started when those tabs aren't laying flat.

For easiest starting, I prefer the old type "rubber" diaphragms, but they're getting hard to find nowdays.
Just gotta remember ...Ab-so-lute-ly... NO ethanol or the flaps curl up and you're jerking the rope and in the tools again.
The blue plastic ones are a bit too stiff for my taste. Can be a bit hard to get cranked if been sitting a while.
The other ones that you can see the texture of the fabric don't seal so well either. More starting drama again.

Take a look at this image at full size. You can see the curled edges where the die cut pulls it curved.
Between the curved edges and the texture? Personally I'd just throw this one into the trash.
Nothing but aggravation to be had from it (in my free opinion).

Heavier oil to fuel ratio might help a bit with the sealing problems of that texture -IF- the flaps are flat when it's mounted.
But that big curl would make me want to look very closely to see if the flat areas, in the middle of the flaps, are dead nuts over the holes in the carburetor body.

Attachments

• curled cut diaphragm 95-89-8__ 8109.jpg
    curled cut diaphragm 95-89-8__ 8109.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 10

Stackowood

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Not sure if you guys ever saw this in the East, but there was also a very early style intake boot with the impulse channel moulded in (no external impulse hose). We received a shipment of these on the West coast and ended up having to modify every one with the "new" boot and external impulse. I think Jonsered was in such a hurry to get a new saw out here to compete with the 266/268/038 that they didn't fully test their design. Also saw a lot of cracked cases before changes were made.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got kits and got back to this. Cleaned the carb, put a Chinese diaphragm kit in it that I ordered by accident. Pretty much same issue. Low speed tunes, H tunes, but if I rev and let off the throttle it dies. If I nurse it down it stays running. Clear lines seem to stay full of fuel. Not quite motivated enough to swap carbs with the 630…and the 630 doesn’t have a return line.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try turning in the idle screw. My 272 started doing what you’re describing a few days ago when I was bucking up some trees and “speeding up” the idle cured it for me.