trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
4:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn't help but pick up this saw. I need another one like a hole in the head. Anyway, it starts and idles but dies once you go to throttle it up. Going to reolace the fuel lines, but anyone with knowledge of this saw is there a known problem that I should be aware of, like intake? Its got a weird carb that I do know. Guy put a china carb on it thinking it would fix the problem but it didnt. He also put some seaker around the intake and it did nothing. Just asking to maybe maximize my time if this is a known problem with these saws.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, to many responses to read. So I'll cut to the chase. Put new fuel line in, seals, base gasket, and intake on (took off the intake that he slobbered Dirko on) and still no change. Would idle but wouldn't throttle up. So was thinking that the coil might be weak so I oredered a coil and slapped it on. It throttled up fine after that and joined the fleet. So for those that have some fuel problem, don't count out the coil if you've done your homework and still can't get it right.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
3:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent conclusion, most will bypass this for the cost to find out and continue to try everything else but.
Most modern repair books will tell you to replace the coil and if it works then the old one was bad. Which might be okay for a dealership with plenty of parts on hand, not so much for the shade tree mechanic.
For folks reading, these tools, that aren't costly, will also get you to the same conclusion without having to replace anything else first.
A gap tester of 5-6mm will test power output, whereas a good bright blue spark being optimal and any other color or weak light blue spark being not or none at all being a bad coil.
A neon inline tester can show spark break up and quitting under running conditions and is good for when a modern coil makes a bad transition from lo to hi speed operation as well a weak coil that is petering out.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need another one like a hole in the head.
Problem with working on this chassis is that it doesn't take long before you want to put a hole in the saw. .30 Caliber or there abouts.

But you're right about not overlooking possible coil issues. And the newer coils can have spark, but not be right as was the case with yours. Sometimes you ear will tell you somethings not right. Like Steve said, it's real easy when you have all the coils in stock. Want to be reasonably sure before buying them.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Problem with working on this chassis is that it doesn't take long before you want to put a hole in the saw. .30 Caliber or there abouts.

But you're right about not overlooking possible coil issues. And the newer coils can have spark, but not be right as was the case with yours. Sometimes you ear will tell you somethings not right. Like Steve said, it's real easy when you have all the coils in stock. Want to be reasonably sure before buying them.
Yeah, there was times I wanted to take it out back and try out my new 9mm. But, I did learn how to take the handle as well as the carb, filter holder, and intake off perfectly after 10 times!! Lol