It’s worth it

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
8:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn't have time to get the boom on the day of this tree. But my dad and I both have 855's for general use. And damn do they come in handy for large rounds. Wish I had some pics of my case 585 moving trees. It's really nice when you can pick up a 16-20ft long trunk and load it one shot.
2000000000003691.jpg 2000000000003694.jpg IMG_20181114_162220677_HDR.jpg

Steven

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can see in the background how I have those noodled quarters stacked those rows are almost 8’ deep. I split 1 row today of the noodled quarters and this pile of splits is the reward. If the good LORD doesn’t return first this will be some great firewood for 2023.
C963AAB9-328D-4C88-A9D8-886A01E0CFF3.jpeg

PJLink

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the bigger rounds, more of a challenge. Seem to be much easier to find/get around where i am because many dont like having to deal with them. Would love to be able to handle whole logs and get into milling a bit but that will be down the road a bit, hopefully.

jjcard41

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m dealing with this too. I got a gift of yard trees that are giant and awful. I’m seriously debating renting a bulldozer to push them in the bushes. It feels like I’m a sally but I just can’t do it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel ya being a sally! Had a couple of monster white oaks to tend too. Split them 4 ways with my axe so I could at least try and handle them. I wish wood splitters had a knee switch or a handle on both sides to operate that wedge. My left arm was starting to cramp from holding those pieces after a couple of hours! :(

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use my car dolly to move them big pia rounds. Roll roll roll your firewood to the splitting pile... then mash it with a big mean chain into sizes to split quartered or blocks. Take a drink... become Pete Repete, twice. Then move on for the day or go home to rest. Three or four will do ya.

My wheel dolly hauls short logs or single rounds flopped over. I like the longer ones cause they load faster and roll right off. Buck, noodle and split.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An 80 year-old pin oak tree about the same size as Dahmer's arrived at a local drop site. I'm taking care of the branches first. That trunk is rock solid, the branches were still healthy, and I'm not sure why the tree was cut down -- probably for new construction. Regardless, I'll do my best to process it for firewood in the same way Dahmer did here. I have three saws that can noodle cut the rounds into quarters or even sixths as needed.

A few years ago a guy gave me a tip on using a 20" or even a 25" bar for bucking and noodling really big oak or elm that grows around here:
BuckingBigLog.JPG
The ides is to make five cuts in the sequence numbered above. The first two are radial in the direction the tree grew. The third and fourth are buck cuts (axial) and remove two half moons. The fifth cut takes out the center chunk if the bar can't get to the center and leaves it attached. Each of these three pieces may likely have to be noodle cut in half again for a big tree.

After splitting, I can stack most of mine in a long single row that gets direct sun and wind. Last year I did this with some split green oak and it dried in nine months. I was really amazed that it dried that fast.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did some splitting and decided I should stack what was there first. I hate stacking. Quit after stacking a cord, still a 1/2 cord laying there to be stacked yet. Won’t get to burning it for 2, maybe 3 years.
View attachment 231647

The way your going with all these big rounds pretty soon you can stop as you have enough wood that you won’t have to worry about your age

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never enough until I’m actually dead.
A yard service man hollered across the street at me, "Edwin, you are too old to be cutting and collecting firewood from big trees."

I didn't give him the bird, but I did yell back, "There may be snow on the rooftop, but there's still fire in the furnace."