It’s worth it

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a bunch of big oaks, 36”-41” dia, given to me last year. I was wondering if all that work manhandling those monsters was worth it. Had to noodle them into quarters to get the weight to around 200 pounds per quarter for this old guy to handle. Started splitting them today. I got 26 pieces of splits for 2 quarters. Works out to 52 splits per round and I didn’t get to the really big ones yet. Lots of great firewood in a couple years.
E4AA3C4B-ADC4-4C21-8770-63C4C97B9373.jpeg 59852373-CC8C-4BB0-8F50-8B584713B9D9.jpeg D95C388D-0093-4E3A-A8AF-0F7BB19CE353.jpeg

onlybrowning

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m dealing with this too. I got a gift of yard trees that are giant and awful. I’m seriously debating renting a bulldozer to push them in the bushes. It feels like I’m a sally but I just can’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m dealing with this too. I got a gift of yard trees that are giant and awful. I’m seriously debating renting a bulldozer to push them in the bushes. It feels like I’m a sally but I just can’t do it.
I have a winch that goes in the truck receiver and pulls the big rounds onto the trailer. I pull them off at home with the quad. Noodle them to make them lighter, if 200 pounds is light. Lots of good wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/
I have a winch that goes in the truck receiver and pulls the big rounds onto the trailer. I pull them off at home with the quad. Noodle them to make them lighter, if 200 pounds is light. Lots of good wood.
Try this again. Having trouble copy/paste tonight. I have a winch mounted that goes into the receiver of the truck to pull the big rounds onto the trailer. I pull them off at home with the quad. Then noodle them into quarters to make handling easier, the quarters still weighed 200 pounds. Lots of great wood.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a bunch of big oaks, 36”-41” dia, given to me last year. I was wondering if all that work manhandling those monsters was worth it. Had to noodle them into quarters to get the weight to around 200 pounds per quarter for this old guy to handle. Started splitting them today. I got 26 pieces of splits for 2 quarters. Works out to 52 splits per round and I didn’t get to the really big ones yet. Lots of great firewood in a couple years.
View attachment 229870 View attachment 229871 View attachment 229872
Great work...I like the way you think, work, and add!
Quality firewood!

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great work...I like the way you think, work, and add!
Quality firewood!
I guess was trying to convince myself all the work was worth it. Seeing the numbers convinced me. Adding the log arch will give me access to more wood I couldn’t get before.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess was trying to convince myself all the work was worth it. Seeing the numbers convinced me. Adding the log arch will give me access to more wood I couldn’t get before.
I've got some similar logs available and I keep putting off the inevitable.
Heavy stuff, yet if I'm like you and devise a plan, it's not too bad, especially if you have @ least 1 "young back" to help you out! lol

Last edited:

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got some similar logs available and I keep putting off the inevitable.
Heavy stuff, yet if I'm like you and devise a plan, it's not too bad, especially if you @ least 1 "young back" to help you out! lol
You know what’s bad? Wayne my cutting partner is 84, I’m the “young buck” at 64.:(

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mill that big stuff in place and sell or use some of it. Plenty still there for firewood.

I'm available.
Tough to mill in place when these were yard trees that went down and they wanted them out of the yard fast. Limb, buck, load and get out. I admit there would have been lots of great lumber.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tough to mill in place when these were yard trees that went down and they wanted them out of the yard fast. Limb, buck, load and get out. I admit there would have been lots of great lumber.
Aren't those the real heart beakers... did many.
They want it gone yesterday.

A guy near me n PA says I can come over next week and get some slabs off 150 year old red oak he says. Pics for firewood were posted from one tree. They left the trunk in a 22ft section knocked over. Upper half is all crotches. He said they still have another stick standing. No problem milling on site. Rare considering how most things go. I can drop and mill. Never minded that one bit. Actually prefer it. Set the cribs... drop the stick and "git to it"! He sat the last one up pretty high on limb wood.

Bet their eyes fell out when you cranked up Papa Smurf lol

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My first dolmar/ makita. New piston and cylinder got it going. This saw screams

Aren't those the real heart beakers... did many.
They want it gone yesterday.

A guy near me n PA says I can come over next week and get some slabs off 150 year old red oak he says. Pics for firewood were posted from one tree. They left the trunk in a 22ft section knocked over. Upper half is all crotches. He said they still have another stick standing. No problem milling on site. Rare considering how most things go. I can drop and mill. Never minded that one bit. Actually prefer it. Set the cribs... drop the stick and "git to it"! He sat the last one up pretty high on limb wood.

Bet their eyes fell out when you cranked up Papa Smurf lol
It gets attention when the chips fly.