timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
5:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd say! Looks like it threw.a chain? That or the hit that broke the fins also caught the clutch cover? I'd say it won the battles. Looks pretty good for having 500 hours on her.
You better start stacking quarters for a TN trip for your 500i buddy.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
4:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have received several large Stihl chainsaws from loggers with missing muffler bolts that somehow always come loose. That includes the 661 and the 500i. I replace them as I fix the other problems. I imagine it's vibration that works them loose. But, it could be that the owners remove the muffler and then don't fasten it back on with enough torque.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have received several large Stihl chainsaws from loggers with missing muffler bolts that somehow always come loose. That includes the 661 and the 500i. I replace them as I fix the other problems. I imagine it's vibration that works them loose. But, it could be that the owners remove the muffler and then don't fasten it back on with enough torque.
A little krylon "1200° grill" paint on the threads of muffler bolts works great (poor man's high temp threadlocker).
Huskies are the world's worst for vibrating screws out.
A man needs to buy a metal detector when buying Husqvarna!
I still luv em tho! ❤️

timg

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or the correct threadlocker. It's all in the maintenance

timg

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to tell which is best if you haven't tried both.
Well there are a couple of boths LOL.
222,242,243,271,272 Hi Temp
I don't have experience with Arkansas back grill paint but I'll put it in this partial threadlocker line up LOL just for you @dall friend from the south.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well there are a couple of boths LOL.
222,242,243,271,272 Hi Temp
I don't have experience with Arkansas back grill paint but I'll put it in this partial threadlocker line up LOL just for you @dall friend from the south.
Well EXCUSE ME BIGSHOT!
Thanks for the dig of where I live!
Had no idea I was talking to a big shot saw builder from the East!

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So far, the one we have at work that we use for a little of everything, but mostly on Rx fires and storm cleanup has been fantastic. Even in the heat and smoke of cutting burning snags, it doesn’t even hiccup, something the 661s would do. I had mine in the truck and the local dealer hooked it up and we are around 240 hours on ours. We are running 40:1 Dominator and 89 E free. The only issue we had was the clutch cover cracked and I replaced it with the awful looking WCS one. It’s made very well, but needs powder coated or something. I don’t see any reason we won’t get 500-600 hours out of it unless someone drops a tree on it.

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same issue with saws I work on for a logger/firewood yard. I started using red locktite in most all bolts and screws. Even then there’
Are some that just vibrate loose.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same issue with saws I work on for a logger/firewood yard. I started using red locktite in most all bolts and screws. Even then there’
Are some that just vibrate loose.

red locktite​

Anaerobic acrylic​

Anaerobic adhesives are often known as ‘locking compounds’, being used to secure, seal and retain turned, threaded, or similarly close fitting parts. They are also used to bond coaxial assemblies and to seal flange faces. At least one component within the joint must be metallic. As a member of the acrylic family of adhesives, they are often in the form of low viscosity liquids, although they can be formulated into pastes or thixotropic systems. They are single-part adhesives which cure when air or, more specifically, oxygen is excluded, hence the name Anaerobic

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind , you mentioned something in another thread about taking some software photos related to the case sensor and what it actually does. Would this be a good place for that?
I forgot about that. I'll plug this thing back up and get some details.

Stihlalltheway

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So far, the one we have at work that we use for a little of everything, but mostly on Rx fires and storm cleanup has been fantastic. Even in the heat and smoke of cutting burning snags, it doesn’t even hiccup, something the 661s would do. I had mine in the truck and the local dealer hooked it up and we are around 240 hours on ours. We are running 40:1 Dominator and 89 E free. The only issue we had was the clutch cover cracked and I replaced it with the awful looking WCS one. It’s made very well, but needs powder coated or something. I don’t see any reason we won’t get 500-600 hours out of it unless someone drops a tree on it.
Respectfully, I have had the complete opposite experience in the same circumstances. I’ve personally blown up 3 on fires. I don’t know if it’s because with all the weight reduction they can’t handle heat as well as the older models, but my crew has gone back to ms 440’s and 460’s. They have a bad habit of boiling the gas as well making them run like garbage until they cool down, whereas when a 440 starts boiling they just keep going. I’ve heard complaints from multiple crews from multiple locations and agencies that they’ve had the same issues, it seems most are related to running them with whatever local gas and oil and ratio then going to a new location and getting different gas and oil and usually a different elevation, after about 3 tanks they just quit running, won’t restart, let them cool down and they’ll restart but won’t idle, hot restarts you have to reprime them, etc. Kind of sad, the 500 was supposed to be lighter and make more power which is perfect to hike with and cut hotline but not if they don’t run

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Respectfully, I have had the complete opposite experience in the same circumstances. I’ve personally blown up 3 on fires. I don’t know if it’s because with all the weight reduction they can’t handle heat as well as the older models, but my crew has gone back to ms 440’s and 460’s. They have a bad habit of boiling the gas as well making them run like garbage until they cool down, whereas when a 440 starts boiling they just keep going. I’ve heard complaints from multiple crews from multiple locations and agencies that they’ve had the same issues, it seems most are related to running them with whatever local gas and oil and ratio then going to a new location and getting different gas and oil and usually a different elevation, after about 3 tanks they just quit running, won’t restart, let them cool down and they’ll restart but won’t idle, hot restarts you have to reprime them, etc. Kind of sad, the 500 was supposed to be lighter and make more power which is perfect to hike with and cut hotline but not if they don’t run
I don't think any Autotune, M-tronic, or fuel injected chainsaw is a good idea for a fire fighting crew. I've had a lot of people tell me that they have had the same experience you had.