Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
4:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They mentioned stuff but didn't mention dimensions...I'll take a closer look when I can. I think the viton thing is interesting in that it's not good in the cold. For a saw...that might be bad. Interesting.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a closer look at the AS thread, it DOES mention dimensions of the stihl o ring for the 044...because its right on the BAG

https://www.ebay.com/p/825000079?ii...RW_Q8pukJm4XykXtEwkb3-pQvNamzFLBoCG90QAvD_BwE

12x1.5mm o ring. mcmaster has it in viton https://www.mcmaster.com/9263k296
$10.10 plus ship for 25 o rings. from ebay around $8 for one.

the AS thread also mentions grease as being effective enough to not require the o ring... an idea @tree monkey had mentioned that to me years back

the husky one is MUCH thinner though, about .025" ... and about 15mm ID... I just have not found a source of such a piece yet

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a closer look at the AS thread, it DOES mention dimensions of the stihl o ring for the 044...because its right on the BAG

https://www.ebay.com/p/825000079?ii...RW_Q8pukJm4XykXtEwkb3-pQvNamzFLBoCG90QAvD_BwE

12x1.5mm o ring. mcmaster has it in viton https://www.mcmaster.com/9263k296
$10.10 plus ship for 25 o rings. from ebay around $8 for one.

the AS thread also mentions grease as being effective enough to not require the o ring... an idea @tree monkey had mentioned that to me years back

the husky one is MUCH thinner though, about .025" ... and about 15mm ID... I just have not found a source of such a piece yet

Did you check with the oring store I linked?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you check with the oring store I linked?
i already have some stuff on order from them, but they quote the same charts as a lot of other o ring places, ... the thinnest ring they have is .040" cross section, so if I'm looking for an o ring for the 372, it needs to be about .025" cross section and they dont' have it. if I get desperate i'll start calling around and they will be a place to call for sure.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i already have some stuff on order from them, but they quote the same charts as a lot of other o ring places, ... the thinnest ring they have is .040" cross section, so if I'm looking for an o ring for the 372, it needs to be about .025" cross section and they dont' have it. if I get desperate i'll start calling around and they will be a place to call for sure.

I found the orings that fit the Stihl high and low needles there. Its amazing how often I've needed to replace those over the years.

Good luck in your search.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can make orings too. We make them for high pressure caustic pumps etc and they hold up so gas wouldnt be a problem View attachment 232247View attachment 232248

yeah I just don't trust myself to make the correct o rings in this particular application. but this has been suggested... thanks

ftr, i never planned on working on as many saws as I have... especially the 2 series stuff. them damn xrings have provided much annoyence to me because dealers want $5 each for those... which is a factor of 100x markup. ...and I always seem to be short of them. I can use a piece of fuel line, but its just too jury rigged for me. best to have the right part, just hate to pay 100x markup

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Part of the expense comes with the excellent packaging. Not only is it well labled, it is also contained in a nice ziplock bag which prevents it from being damaged by loose pins....

20200324_160840.jpg

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was free shipping. I had sticker shock when pricing. To order a pkg and shipping from mcmaster would have been more. Dont plan on doing more any time soon.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
yeah I just don't trust myself to make the correct o rings in this particular application. but this has been suggested... thanks

ftr, i never planned on working on as many saws as I have... especially the 2 series stuff. them damn xrings have provided much annoyence to me because dealers want $5 each for those... which is a factor of 100x markup. ...and I always seem to be short of them. I can use a piece of fuel line, but its just too jury rigged for me. best to have the right part, just hate to pay 100x markup
Me neither so I'll get my O rings from you :D
Looking at the 288 so far.
Fuel cap O rings for four big saws please :D
I try to have my order in by next week :p
Don't sweat the X bushing... can stack O rings for my saws :D... you can include some of those too :cool:. I cut many square rings for stuffs from quality fuel line or punched out from flat stock.

I have piles of them there Buna O Rings to look through tonight. Found three containers so far. Air shock lines or air ride lines have small O rings for the tiny bits. They also work to dampen screw movements as Randall mentioned.

KennyWinCT

Kens Small Engines
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ken....u now remind me I gotta look up fuel cap orings. ...jeeprrs.

I use Brown Viton O-rings from a Harbor Freight Kit for fuel caps. So far so good. They tend to flatten out over time. The poulan lower priced saws are the worse for leaking/tight gas caps