Husqvarna 385/390 Crankshaft update

thinair

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, I'm working on a 385 with a bad lower rod bearing, upon searching I noticed an updated part number. Also watching afleetcommand videos I saw him using the new updated crank with what looks to be a new style of rod. My question, Is it worth it to get the new updated crank or use an old style that I already have?

Interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never had any trouble with the 385/390 cranks. I've seen more failures with the mounting ears on the cylinders breaking off
rather than cranks going bad. I'm currently getting together two 390XPs and I'll be using good condition cranks that I already have here.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn't the 385's have some issues with the cc bearing outer races getting loose/spinning in the case?

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can afford the new crank and your saw has failed....a good move. But don't tear apart a perfectly good 385/390 just to update a crank on suspicion it might improve the service life. Wait for a reason:) . I have seen a number of broken cranks in 385's , but with the hours that were on them, they certainly didn't owe anyone anything. I've seen more intake boots split on 390's than any other failure, with the possible exception of more tree & skidder crushes... pretty solid saws those 390's are, and the later ones were even better. BUT with the 592 around the corner ( or two ), they may have stiff competition inhouse for what's the most capable 90cc pro level saw for the dollar.

Gord

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn't the 385's have some issues with the cc bearing outer races getting loose/spinning in the case?
have done quite a few rebuilds on 385-90 saws and i think that the biggest issue was not so much that, it was the bearing on some of them the clutch side was not a good press on the crank which also is part of the sealing properly and would eventually end up spinning on the crank - bad batch of bearings I think from the factory new, if your fortunate enough a new bearing will fit tight if it hasn't worn the crank beyond repair.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have seen that on a 576 twice, pto side. Sleeve locker took care of that, just make sure every surface is clean. But some are so wobbled out, just need to find a better case half.

thinair

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies, it was interesting to know that husky updated to a new con rod, kinda reminds me of the 084 rod.

Gord

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did a rebuild on a guys 390xp about a month ago and he supplied the new crank kit he bought from the dealer- had to look at the numbers , thought maybe the gave him the wrong one, wonder if and when the newer 390's come with these.