066 Redlight crank

K-techcowboy

OPE Member
Local time
3:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello everyone. I have an 066 red eye that I was starting the process of getting timing numbers on so I could do a bit of an extreme port job to and I noticed that the big end of the connecting rod was pretty loose up and down so I’m looking to replace the crank. My question is what do I go with and do I stick with the early style aluminum flywheel crank? I was thinking I’d either find a new oe one which maybe alittle difficult and pricey or going with byway. I do run this saw pretty often so reliability is important to me.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to stick with the early style crank for the metal flywheel. The poly flywheel cranks for the newer saws are too wide
to fit your old case and the metal flywheel does not work on them. If it were me, I'd steer clear of the aftermarket cranks.

I may have a used OEM crank for you.

Shibby

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an aftermarket crank in my 066 red light. I just run slightly heavier mix to reduce chance of wear.

As mentioned, you have to use the same style crank unless you switch the case, and if you switch the case you need to switch the handle and covers too and it's basically a 660 at that point.

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe, but am probably wrong, that the first cranks 064/066 had 12 roller bearings in the big end and was quickley upgraded to 13 or 14 rollers in the big end bearing. Very early, early cranks are weaker there.