Huskyboy meets 500i

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it seems to put more wear on the bar/chain than anything else imho. Maybe a little more load on the saw. If you keep your chain sharp and take care of your saw it shouldn’t hurt the saw long term. But it’s certainly a debatable subject.
I agree, the tail of the bar can see more wear, I also notice the bar and chain will be a bit more dry, more sling and chain speed I assume. I prefer 7 pin most of the time, even on saws that can run an 8. Don't think it will harm the internals, other than more engine heat if you're too heavy handed.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have decided to address the rather soft av on the 500i. It’s a little annoying when doing upcuts and the saw is a tad floppy when boring. Your constantly bumping the av limiter which translates more vibration into the handles in the process. I ordered the 661 lower spring #1144 791 3103 for the 500i. It’s the same spring they charge a pretty penny for in the WCS spring kit. Only cost me 16$. The 462 is a tad stiffer than the 500i I noticed, allegedly it comes with that 661 spring from the factory. Curious to see if it makes a good improvement on the 500i.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made a few cookie cuts with a 28” yesterday. Feels noticeably stiffer/less floppy. The real test will come when I actually put it through its paces for a day. Seems like an easy fix to my biggest gripe about the saw so far though.

Last edited:

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I made a few cookie cuts with a 28” yesterday. Feels noticeably stiffer/less floppy. The real test will come when I actually put it through its paces for a day. Seems like an easy fix to my biggest gripe about the saw so far though.
I'm wondering why the Stihl engineers would make the saw this way to start with. It's almost as though it should have 15ccs less and be in the home owner lineup.
Seems like you have found a great solution. I hope it works out!

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm wondering why the Stihl engineers would make the saw this way to start with. It's almost as though it should have 15ccs less and be in the home owner lineup.
Seems like you have found a great solution. I hope it works out!

There’s very few places in the world that run long bars like in North America, this saw was mainly tested in places that require short bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes but, did they forget about the large market over here? LOL

They’ve never thought about this market over here if they did every saw would come with full wraps and dawgs that didn’t go straight into the garbage from day one. Or filter systems that don’t filter the fines on the west coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember a rep telling me that the west coast long bar, wrap type saws were 1-2% of sales for them.
Good point there. The rest of the world is a lot bigger than the pnw. Not the only place where cutting trees happens. It’s why wraps and large dogs are an option. Not everyone cuts 5 - 6 foot diameter 200+ft tall fir trees with 36” bars. There smart by appealing to different markets with the same basic saw. More profit. Just add the accessories you want for your cutting needs. I still think the 500i av is a bit too soft for even shorter bars like a 24-28”… but the 661 spring seems to resolve that issue. Now we just need max flo to offer a proper filter for the 500i that doesn’t need cleaned daily like the stock one.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I remember a rep telling me that the west coast long bar, wrap type saws were 1-2% of sales for them.
Yup, but the east coast uses long bars too. Across the pond they're testing with short bars like posted about earlier. I see Silver Maples daily that are over 3' in dia. Those sukas grow fast. And I ain't kiddin.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you in include all chainsaws that makes sense, but I would venture to guess if we were to narrow things down to say 70cc saws and up, that would change a bit. Sales guys alway tend to look at volume and often miss the importance of what got them to those large numbers, the loggers are what made Stihl the name it is today, forgetting that would be a mistake, even if it doesn't matter the same it once did.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What a pain in the a$$ to remove the baffle on the 500i. Curious to see if it makes a difference. I already have 125% of ex port for outlet area. C017399E-51A0-4110-9C63-54BC7E4133C2.jpeg Had to fill in a few thin spots that were a bit thin for my liking after I ground the spot welds out. This muffler is paper thin… guess they did it to save weight. 261E3A17-F81F-448F-BAB0-08DC753DC438.jpeg

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
On the plus side the braze solder seems to stick really well to this muffler compared to some I’ve brazed. I use this stuff… View attachment 301295View attachment 301297
Of course you would use that stuff.
Made in MASON, Ohio. :D

What a pain in the a$$ to remove the baffle on the 500i. Curious to see if it makes a difference. I already have 125% of ex port for outlet area. View attachment 301291 Had to fill in a few thin spots that were a bit thin for my liking after I ground the spot welds out. This muffler is paper thin… guess they did it to save weight. View attachment 301292
Ever try using a spot weld drill bit? Muff metal may be a bit to thin though. Primarily used in auto body work. Blair is one company makin them.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of course you would use that stuff.
Made in MASON, Ohio. :D

Ever try using a spot weld drill bit? Muff metal may be a bit to thin though. Primarily used in auto body work. Blair is one company makin them.
Lol what a coincidence and yeah I think I would like to try one of those spot weld drill bits. Some of the ones on the roof of the muffler have to be ground with a burr cause they are a tough angle to get at with a drill bit. There’s like 8 spot welds in total I think :eek:. Honestly if I was to do it again I’d do it like I did the 462 muffler. Leave the baffle in but grind the area in front of the port so it’s a straight shot out. Pretty much achieves the same thing. I was just curious if removing the baffle completely would make a difference.