Husky 268

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve, as far as I know, the metal tanks were only on the 162's. The educated guess would be someone replaced a tank on a 266 with a 162 tank.

But, as an example of "ya never know", the last 351's we got came in with 353 top ends. There is no documentation on that whatsoever. But there they were.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve, as far as I know, the metal tanks were only on the 162's. The educated guess would be someone replaced a tank on a 266 with a 162 tank.

But, as an example of "ya never know", the last 351's we got came in with 353 top ends. There is no documentation on that whatsoever. But there they were.

What happened to no guess work? Lol

I can say knowing the one owner of the saw and the history he told me I don't believe it was ever replaced, then again he's not with us anymore to confirm it either.

I can only speculate that the one I have is from one as it came with a box-O-266, I can't confirm anything on that one, however it does exist. If only the AV's came along with it, they're different than the plastic tank version. :(

While being from two different sources they both would have came from our then new local Husqvarna dealer in town in the early 80's.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
2:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably is all we'd have Bob, if it weren't for you! It ain't easy being cheesy!
I had a Tomos 66 come through here once, it had a closed port 266 top end on it, don't know if that's stock or someone tossed it on there. I actually owned one of these 66's when I was in my early 20's, bought it from a pulp wood cutter, was a good saw for me. I finally tired of a buddy begging me to buy it and down the road it went.
Also have seen a 266 with a metal fuel tank, only one I've seen other than the spare tank in my stasharoo.

For the heck of it, I typed in 503511503 to see what came up and this is the models the site said the flywheel fit.
View attachment 363925
I knew a buddy with a 266 that looked like new with a metal tank, he sold it to my brother and my brother sold it to a guy on AS. Link to 266 pics: https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/clean-husqvarna-266-full-wrap.348989/

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I knew a buddy with a 266 that looked like new with a metal tank, he sold it to my brother and my brother sold it to a guy on AS. Link to 266 pics: https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/clean-husqvarna-266-full-wrap.348989/

That is a rare beaut for sure. :)

My buddies looked just like that, except for the handle, no full wrap and no where near as pristine.
I did maintenance on it and fogged it for long term storage for the family, so if any of the grandchildren get a hankering for grandads saw, fuel and oil and it's ready to go, was the least I could do for a good friend for all those years.

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Notice that bulletin on the tank and AV changes only applies to the SE, the SG, and later XPG saws carried on with the mag tank. And, there are two versions of the mag tank for this chassis. The one as seen on the saw above, with the solid cast rear handle like the plastic tanks, and one which is cut out to use the same plastic inserts as a 254, 242, etc, which is normally found on heated handle saws, but I have one in the parts pile with the non heated inserts. I haven't checked for date codes on the plastic inserts yet, but, IPL's suggest it would be early 162.

Bob, did Husky ever release a digital version of the older service bulletins? My dealer days were early '00's and all of our Electrolux stuff(We had Jred and Husky) was still microfiche and paper, while Stihl had put quite a bit of their stuff all on a CD. What I would give to have the stuff I had access to back then.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, not release on any public site or access. But everything is supposed to have been copied electronically and saved. There's a drop down box on the dealer dashboard for service documents. Format is SB, 266. Or IPL, 234. WM, 372. Hard to believe it's really all there. Going through the ound copy of a service bulletin detailing the changes from the 133 to the 234. More stuff like that than you'd believe.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most use YouTube obviously. But it gets “overpopulated”. A few guys have switched to Vimeo just for hosting because of it.
With the site upgrade, there is now a place to upload videos directly without having to go through utoob or the like. I just uploaded a vidya last night to test it out. Look for the "media" section.

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I finally finished the saw, ended up with a new crank, flywheel, coil, oiler worm gear, and put a new ring in. I didn't do any port work but did clean up the exhaust port as it was layered with carbon build up. Haven't run the saw yet but tuned it fat at 12k for break in.