How to stop Oil leaking from behind bar

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
3:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
490 takes a k041 mount bar.

The oil pump bolts down to the case, and there is a rubber gasket between. The oil flows up through the casting to the bar...there are no rubber wear parts external. You are building pressure in the tank and it is forcing oil out. Crack the oil tank cap like others have suggested.

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score

The oil pump bolts down to the case, and there is a rubber gasket between. The oil flows up through the casting to the bar...there are no rubber wear parts external. You are building pressure in the tank and it is forcing oil out. Crack the oil tank cap like others have suggested.
can you take the bar and plates off and give us a pic so we can see , where its coming from , would make it easier
and it that the mount your using K041
i did find this
As far as I know Husky doesn't offer any K041 bars - their small mount bars are K095 (or A095 in 3/8" lo-pro).

The difference between K095 and A041 is the oiling system. K095 bars have normal oil holes, while K041 bars have internal oil channels from the adjuster hole to the chain slot. Everything else is the same.

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
maybe it is the wrong bar been fitted to the saw
has it been doing it since you bort it

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Im on the oregon site and it doesnt show 490 takes a K041 mount only 377, 446, 488pi, 451
this guy is from Ireland as well so hopefully this can help you out
he has the same saw running this bar
514275 -18, .58 .325 72 9H , these are the numbers on his saw

Last edited:

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's flowing down the side of the bar when you're using the saw, likely the oil hole on the bar is either
A) plugged
B) not aligned with the oiler on the saw (could be related to incorrect bar for saw)
C) not present (seen some pics where only one side of the bar has an oiler hole drilled)

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 20 saws hanging from hooks in my garage. 3/4's of them have an oil spot under them. I agree with relieving the pressure, but that's not a fix all.

G

Greenerpastures

Thanks to all who mention bar mount, I have the original bar on the saw, the fact it is 18" long
and it is the right mount has slowed the oil down so I can run the saw with a lot less oil being sprayed all over
the place, will keep using this bar until I get the oil flow setting right, have it on the middle but looking at Shndaiwa's specifications the pump puts out a lot of oil, so when I figure the right setting I will change over to
the modded bar and see if the down pour starts up again.
I went to the dealers today just to look if the chain was actualy on the drive rim, it was, so my father did not get
this wrong, which was the only thing I did not do myself and had me worried regarding whether it was causing
the excessive oil flow through damaging the pump drive or similar.
The original bar is: Shindaiwa, No, 514275 -18, .58 .325 72 9H as stamped on bar.

The Modified Bar is a Carlton Super Pro, as in SP.
#Here is what is stamped on the bar: 15-01W-K264-SP12 , it is 15" .325 / .68 bar.
Here it is and the mod explained a little.
Carlton_Bar_01W.jpg
As far as am aware it should have been this type of bar.
Carlton_Bar_10W.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Greenerpastures

Thanks for posting, and yes, I did open the oil tank cap to ensure there was enough oil in it
before I tested the saw, and there was indeed a vacuum as it opened, and it was also after opening
the oil tank lid that the excessive oil started to come out.

G

Greenerpastures

I took the lid off the oil tank yesterday, and air got sucked in as I did, the tank was quite low but obviously had enough to mess up around the clutch area and up the sides of the bar.
The oil may be too thin, but not by much, the dealer I bought it off had it full of this oil, I filled it up this evening,
will fill with fuel tomorrow and do some cutting, the original bar seems to be better at holding on to the oil than
the modded one, time will tell now whether it is the bar that is at fault, there is indeed an inner and outer plate the sandwiches the bar, one is bolted on the saw the other on the removable side casing / clamp,
I did not take off the plate to view the pump and pipes to see if they were intact, if the flood of oil still continues,
I will pressure test the pipe and pump, it is simpler than opening anything up and will provide definitive proof
if a leak is detected.

All the documentation I can find shows there is a small hole in the saw chassis that leads from the pump into a
channel near the top of the bar that feeds oil through a small hole in the bar where it makes it way to the chain. Yet I hear people talk of oil coming out around the chain tensioner, that would mean the bar is oiled from the top and the bottom, I have not studied this yet, but it seems unnecessary to oil through the adjuster, and there is no evidence from the Shindaiwa diagrams that support oiling from around the adjuster on the 490.