High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How to stop Oil leaking from behind bar

G

Greenerpastures

Hi everyone

Oil is coming from behind the bar on my new Shindaiwa 490,
there is so much leaking that it is going to get into the clutch,
it drips and washes up along the side of the bat, way too much
to waste and I don't want it to get into the clutch.

I added a new bar, a groove was cut in the side of the bar so the
oil could flow up it into the hole which in turn leads to the rail
in the bar so lube can get to the chian.

Everything is clean and tight, what can I do to fix this oil from
coming out from what seems to be between the bar and the saw
housing nearest the clutch.

I had this problem before but I upgraded the saw so did not need
to fix it, but was told at that time there is some sort of paste which
is put on between the bar and the saw housing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards, john

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
8:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just went through this on a 372. I`m not sure how the Shinny`s are set up but I`d take the clutch and plate that goes betwen the saw and bar off and check all wear items. Is your worm gear good to go? It could be spinning constantly even when clutch is not engaged.

G

Greenerpastures

its feeding oil from the oiler , could be the seal or just lay the saw on its side
How would laying the saw on its side stop it leaking so I can work with it, may be I picked up what you are
saying wrong.

Regards, john

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
How would laying the saw on its side stop it leaking so I can work with it, may be I picked up what you are
saying wrong.

Regards, john
open the oil knob to let preasure out , by laying saw over with oiler up the top oil cant run out , i had a brand new saw that leaked and the shop couldnt find out why , some saws do and some dont
heres a manual , yours isnt there but may help you

Attachments

• 300 488 577 757 sm.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you turn the oil flow down? Maybe, I`m just guessing here, that if you have it turned up too high it can get all that oil out and down a shorter bar fast enough?

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
AndyShine has a video on YouTube where he shows you how to use Hylomar Blue to fix this. It is an easy fix.
On the Husky 372xp it is caused sometimes by a vacuum in the oil tank and the oil just siphons out of the tank even after the saw has stopped running. Opening the oil tank for a few minutes after you're done running the saw can help alleviate the continual drip of oil while the saw is being stored.

G

Greenerpastures

AndyShine has a video on YouTube where he shows you how to use Hylomar Blue to fix this. It is an easy fix.
On the Husky 372xp it is caused sometimes by a vacuum in the oil tank and the oil just siphons out of the tank even after the saw has stopped running. Opening the oil tank for a few minutes after you're done running the saw can help alleviate the continual drip of oil while the saw is being stored.
Thanks for commenting, I had the oil cap off to ensure I had enough oil in the saw before I started work,
I understand that some oil will remain on the bar after work, but the oil am talking about is coming out
when am working the saw, I have the oil set on the lowest setting and there is enough reaching the chain,
If I could get the oil that is going up the bar in waves to stop that is what I need.

G

Greenerpastures

open the oil knob to let preasure out , by laying saw over with oiler up the top oil cant run out , i had a brand new saw that leaked and the shop couldnt find out why , some saws do and some dont
Yes, oil is on lowest setting, the oil is not flying off the chain, it is running down the
bar in waves, and drenching the clutch and surrounding area.

G

Greenerpastures

Am getting a bad feeling about this, as I thought through it I remembered cleaning
the bar and giving it to my father to put chain on the saw, when I took the saw to
the dealer I bought it off I noted the chain was looser than it was when he tightened it,
and it was tight for I pulled it down to check it was not too tight.
Now the saw was only run up against a piece of wood to ensure oil was getting to the
bar, so what loosened the chain, I have a horrible feeling that he did not put the chain into the
drive properly and thus the chain being loose when I took it to the dealer.

But is this even possible, as it was flying around no problem no tugging or noise out
of the ordinary and it stopped like normal when I lifted off the throttle.
In any event would this have something to do with the oil being all over the bar and
in around the clutch.
I would think the chain would have been jammed up if it was not in the slot on the
drive.

Will have to wait now to see if this was the case, I knew there was a reason I usually
never let anyone near my stuff, he wanted to compare it to his new Stihl 251, he is
only back from New Zealand and we were going to tidy up some hedges together.

Man I will not be happy if this is the case.

G

Greenerpastures

Thanks for the manual, quite informative.

G

Greenerpastures

Hi Chainsaw Jim

I can take the picture but cant get them off my camera to upload them, need a new card reader first.
I have a feeling my father put the chain beside the drive sprocket, he was used to the Stihl 041
which I neglected to think about before I let him put the bar and chain on the Shindaiwa, and if I
remember right there is no rim drive on that saw, just a star shaped drive that you could hardy
miss getting the chain over, but this is just a hunch, and as I do not know exactly how the clutch
couples to the oil pump I can't determine if the cahin is being drove with the oil pump drive
which is on the engine side of where the rim drive sits, hope am wrong though as I do not fancy
putting new parts on a new saw.

Thanks & regards, john