How to square file

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
6:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The clutch drum and bearing plus the sprocket all has some play. I just don't want it too tight to put extra pressure on the small crank ends of the stihls. A 372 has a bigger end than a 660.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
3:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The clutch drum and bearing plus the sprocket all has some play. I just don't want it too tight to put extra pressure on the small crank ends of the stihls. A 372 has a bigger end than a 660.
The 660 is the same size as an 026 ,a 10 mm wrench fits on both the same .

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually make it fairly snug. It will always loosen a bit, and I don't want it jumping the bar if I have to cut some brush. Have not lost a chain in a long time. Helps to keep them sharp.

SquareFile

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
no daylight for me, the whole purpose of the sprocket tip was to run a tighter chain. snug them up so when pulled down they snap back at the bar. not so tight that you can here it slowing the saw down quickly when letting off throttle but tight enough where it ain't gonna come loose. it's easy enough to flip a chain back on the bar if it flips off but a pain in the ass doing falling cuts with a sagging chain. also wears bar and sprocket out faster running it lose. i don't care what anyone says about damaging crank bearings or whatever. i still get just as long out of my saws as anyone else and it is much more of a joy using a saw on it's side with out a chain trying to walk it's way out of the bar groove. cuts up and down cutting cookies would not matter though. limbing or brushing out with a lose chain will make a guy realize the importance of a tight chain. i can get away with alot more when running .404. way less chain throws it seems with it.

I agree. If a chain is loose and don't derail it'll tear the tail of the bar up.

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll pull some links out of threads on Chainsaw Repair site for you all here. One of the threads http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/chain/anatomy-of-chainsaw-chain/

how a cutter works http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/pdf/maintenance_manual/ms_10.pdf

Carlton and some of it is explaining the rocking motion of the working chain.

How Saw Chain Cuts Wood
To help you properly maintain your Carlton Saw Chain, avoiding theproblems of poor maintenance and recognizing the wear patterns that can causesaw chain and guide bar failure, it is essential to first learn how saw chain cuts woodith your chain saw. You might be surprised to learn that a cutter tooth must actu-ally leave the guide bar to cut wood efficiently.All saw chain cuts with a rocking motion. When cutting properly, saw chainresembles a dolphin swimming in the ocean. As the cutter enters the wood, the“leading edge” starts to bite (#1) causing the cutter to rock back as far as the depth gauge will allow (#2). The cutter is now in the “attack position”. The cutter jumps off the guide bar and into the wood (#3).Chain tension and power from the saw pull the cutter back out of the woodand the severed chip exits from the underside of the cutter (#4). The cutter thenreturns to its original position (#5). Any condition that upsets this smooth and effi-cient rocking motion will have a negative effect on the life,performance and cutting efficiency of any saw ch

Need to let download.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/28466692/Carlton-Chain-sharpening-Complete-Book
The bottom link was deleted when I clicked on it to download.