How to square file

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you have lean on the side plate backwards. That would make it not feed well.

It looks like that in the last pic. The other looks pretty straight to me.

It also looks like your not getting all of the top edge to me Skipp. But pictures can be deceiving. Is that how it looked when you sent it off?

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly how I sent white paint stick and all

skippy

Husqvarnas Sawyer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike how do I correct this issue ? I don't have the chain back yet for better pics buddy

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rotate the file away from the corner a little is how you fix that. It may take a stroke or 2 or clean the gullet out crazy where it's not in the way at all.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You want the corner of the cutter to contact the wood first. If that is not happening, rotate the file a bit clockwise on the right hand cutters and counter clockwise on the left hand cutters. Also check to make sure the rakers are not the problem.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll pull some links out of threads on Chainsaw Repair site for you all here. One of the threads http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/chain/anatomy-of-chainsaw-chain/

how a cutter works http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/pdf/maintenance_manual/ms_10.pdf

Carlton and some of it is explaining the rocking motion of the working chain.

How Saw Chain Cuts Wood
To help you properly maintain your Carlton Saw Chain, avoiding theproblems of poor maintenance and recognizing the wear patterns that can causesaw chain and guide bar failure, it is essential to first learn how saw chain cuts woodith your chain saw. You might be surprised to learn that a cutter tooth must actu-ally leave the guide bar to cut wood efficiently.All saw chain cuts with a rocking motion. When cutting properly, saw chainresembles a dolphin swimming in the ocean. As the cutter enters the wood, the“leading edge” starts to bite (#1) causing the cutter to rock back as far as the depth gauge will allow (#2). The cutter is now in the “attack position”. The cutter jumps off the guide bar and into the wood (#3).Chain tension and power from the saw pull the cutter back out of the woodand the severed chip exits from the underside of the cutter (#4). The cutter thenreturns to its original position (#5). Any condition that upsets this smooth and effi-cient rocking motion will have a negative effect on the life,performance and cutting efficiency of any saw ch

Need to let download.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/28466692/Carlton-Chain-sharpening-Complete-Book

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How tight do you guys run your chains ? any daylight underneath between the chain and bar ?
Yes sometimes it's that loose if I'm lazy and not paying attention. I usually got til it touches the bottom of the bar on the longer ones. Some of the short ones cutting cookies loose is fast.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
3:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sometimes it's that loose if I'm lazy and not paying attention. I usually got til it touches the bottom of the bar on the longer ones. Some of the short ones cutting cookies loose is fast.
This is why i asked ,a little test ,spin the chain on the bar when snugged up against bottom of bar ,then loosen it some so it sags 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch then spin it .