Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried square filing for the first time today. Have always been told I've had a good eye for sharpening...I'm sure that is up for debate..lol. Picked up a husky 353 just before the first of the year and haven't messed with it much. Has a 20" Carlton bar on it.
Decided to try doing some square filing to it. Made some cuts in some 14" fir rounds. Didn't touch up the chain with the round file before I started...just because I knew I was going to take the time to square file it and it did feel and look pretty sharp. Made 4 cookies with an average time of 25 seconds on the round.
Took the time to get a decent square file to the cutters. By no means perfect, but was surprised when my cookies went down to an average of 19 seconds.

I should have touched the round up beforehand to get a better idea..but am surprised that the time changed that much!!

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You typically understate results, what did you gain, 50% ?
1.7 to 1.1. I'll have to dig for a stock video. I timed them the other day. 40% isn't bad. I've still got to play with it a little bit. I kept taking the rakers down on it and it got faster without me pushing so hard. I think one more swipe off them and it will be almost perfect so you don't push so hard.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It will cut fast but not last long like that.
There is 2 tanks of fuel ran on that cutter so far ,kept it out of the dirt .

Was cutting with another .404 ,and mud was wedged between one side i did not see ,did not kill the chain like 3/8 would have ,i kept working the rest of day with it .

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score

i thought about making one with these things, and cutting a slot in some plywood to adjust for different chain lengths, then getting some sort of scrap metal to make into like a crescent shape to mount one of them to for doing the other side of the chain without needing to remove the chain from the ..... thingie... device.

thought about cutting out either a small groove in the plastic wheel, or making small holes/divots in the plastic for the drive links to drop into.

barn door roller.png

Toad22t

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So I was watching a YouTube video on filing and after the guy got done using his db he took a round file and hit by the tie straps. What does this do?

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. Cleaning out the gullets. I'm pretty sure I've seen that video before. I think the fella in the video is a member on AS and maybe here as well. I'm not sure exactly who he is though. The vise he shows off is one of homelite410's masterpieces.