How to square file

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
7:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if it stays sharp as long as the traditional way we do it?
What they pictured reminded me of the beak of the Stihl RS, and pics I've seen of X-Cut. Imo, they're going for the wow factor but like you mention, how long will that last. I never leave a beak unless it's for a play chain. And I always felt RS was grabby out of the box, but it cut great.
DSC06484.JPG
h110-0425.png

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chain build-off, all are welcome!

I’m hosting another chain build-off, little different this year. Only rule is the keep chassis work to a safe level, I don’t want chains breaking!

Chains this year will be 72DL 3/8 .050 to be ran on a muffler modded and carb swapped Solo 681 with an 7 pin and a 394 ported by Mathew Olsen with a 8 pin. I’ll attach videos of saws below. Saws will run in a 16”x16” cant (thinking pine). Dave Smith is running the saws to keep things fair and consistent. Footage will go on YouTube. I am only releasing names of the top 25% of entries as I don’t want bench racers talking *s-word to those who perform poorly. This is for fun and all are welcome.

I will give a vallorbe double bevel to the winner, in the past guys sent money to sweeten the pot, that is allowed again. Chains can be shipping back afterwards if you cover the cost of shipping. Date is currently set for late March, that is subject to change a little for whatever reason (shipping, end of the world, etc.) PFA

Videos
Solo:

394:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I once got a multi month run around from abolox site. Ordered when it said they were in stock and didn't hear from them for a while. Finally messaged and was told they were backordered, but my account was charged. Waited patiently for a while (actually a long while) and got zero communication from them and no files.
Working my way through the thread, and just saw this 3+ year old post. Just had this happen to me. Card got billed; got shipping notice with tracking number; no files; no communication until I contacted them 1 week past 'expected date'. They never shipped and never told me.

Philbert

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
‘Inside-out’ is supposed to extend the life of the files, since they are not always slamming into the hard chrome.

Philbert

Round yes but square you got outside in then there’s no burr left from the file or grinding wheel. Every once in a while I’ll do it inside out on the grinder and you can tell a difference in how grabby a chain is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Working my way through the thread, and just saw this 3+ year old post. Just had this happen to me. Card got billed; got shipping notice with tracking number; no files; no communication until I contacted them 1 week past 'expected date'. They never shipped and never told me.

Philbert
Without going back to see my follow-ups, I did split a box of these with someone a good while back, so they did follow through. I guess it’s still their business practice to do what you experienced. Kinda sucks but it was the best deal on them we could find. Now I’ve taken a liking to the Vallorbes. They’ll outlast the Bahco, so it makes them worth the additional cost. IMO of course.

ZukiRyder400

Breaker of recoils
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is another one I converted to square. Used a triangle-double bevel sorta thing. All of them had a very small beak and a bit of forward lean. Tested it out, it pulled hard but didn’t chatter in the cut. I was cutting frozen 19” White Ash and this chain went through it like it was freakin butter. 3C295015-854F-4C4D-B0DC-CB96215CAF32.jpeg