How to : Bar tip replacement

junkman

Crush it
Local time
11:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have never done this before ,it may be intimidating ,but it is fairly simple if you have a hammer ,a vise and a punch ,this is done on a single rivet oregon type tip on a cannon bar for demo ,Stihl bars have 3 smaller rivets to remove ,but basic same way to replace ,this bar has a broken tip .broke right off it i mean ,lol
cannon bar tip 001.JPG

Directions that came on the box ,lets give it a try .
cannon bar tip 004.JPG cannon bar tip 005.JPG
Couple smacks and the rivet is out ,it only comes out one way ,there is an x an the tip to see which way via directions
cannon bar tip 006.JPG
After the rivet is out ,this is what the bar end looks like ,the tip slides on and off

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is with the new tip slid on
cannon bar tip 009.JPG
the oregon tip came with 2 rivets
cannon bar tip 010.JPG
Now time to smash them with the hammer ,i used the flat anvil part on the lower part of the vise for this
cannon bar tip 012.JPG
cannon bar tip 013.JPG

Completed bar
cannon bar tip 014.JPG

On my stihl bar when i changed out to a .404 tip from 3/8 i did not have good luck driving the rivets out like on the oregon ,had to grind them off then drive out ,i may have been doing something wrong ,but thats what i ran into with that brand .

Gypo Logger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The old roller nose tips by Oregon suggested greasing hourly. That's alot of grease over the life of the bar.
Burning out a tip is sacreligious, as is losing your bar wrench.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't have enough "store made" rivets so I used some 3/16" rod and made a good guess on the length based on one rivet I had before peening them over.

IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

O.K. the bar was a bit rough but I couldn't help myself, old school McCulloch 10 Series.

Mark

madhatte

It's The Water
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven't looked at prices in a bit, but the last time I bought Oregon type tips at Madsen's the Cannon ones were cheaper by a buck or two.