How far is it safe to sharpen

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
7:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty basic question how much tooth being left is safe should this one get tossed? image.jpg

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
None have broken off yet only round a 50 cc saw it's on I didn't know if it could be dangerous really or not was sorta wondering where one may go if it did break??

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
6:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
None have broken off yet only round a 50 cc saw it's on I didn't know if it could be dangerous really or not was sorta wondering where one may go if it did break??
The last chain I pitched, had over half the cutters broken off...
It just finally quit cutting.

Get all the good you can out of em.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think they cut better as well maybe the teeth clear better when there isn't much left of them

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When a chain get's filed half way back to the etched filing guide's it wont cut fast or hold an edge for me. Must just be me, my dad say's that a chain cut's best when it's almost junk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When a chain get's filed half way back to the etched filing guide's it wont cut fast or hold an edge for me. Must just be me, my dad say's that a chain cut's best when it's almost junk
A lot of guys like the chains better when filed/ground back that far, due to increased chip clearance, and (for real) the racers like the lighter weight chains.

Usually when a chain like that does not cut well, it is due to the depth gauges needing to be maintained/lowered, since the cutter is lowered as it is filed/ground back. Lots of ideas about this, but the simplest way is to use one of the depth gauge adjusting gauges.

Philbert

Screen shot 2016-02-16 at 12.49.08 PM.png

Screen shot 2014-05-30 at 10.11.10 PM.png

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you cleaning out the gullet to get the file down where it needs to be?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The oregon with the bumper links the bumper itself also has to come down some when they get that low

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you cleaning out the gullet to get the file down where it needs to be?

Yes, and i file raker's to be pretty aggressive. Not that the chain isn't cutting good enough for most guy's when it get's filed back that far, i'm probably more picky about how it is cutting than most. One thing i have noticed with LGX chain is that once filed halfway back to the guide it won't hold an edge near as long. I prefer using RS but the price difference sucks

shorthunter

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, and i file raker's to be pretty aggressive. Not that the chain isn't cutting good enough for most guy's when it get's filed back that far, i'm probably more picky about how it is cutting than most. One thing i have noticed with LGX chain is that once filed halfway back to the guide it won't hold an edge near as long. I prefer using RS but the price difference sucks

Are you going down at least one file size? I have used 3/16 file(instead of 7/32) on some wore out 3/8 chain just to get the hook that I was looking for

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And to keep the angle of engagement similar to new, you gotta sometimes run as low as .045 instead of .025 once that tooth is way back.

View attachment 11605

WOW, those rakers are short. Looks like I need to get the file out for some of my rakers with short cutters...