How are the Asian 660s holding up???

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always replace them with the Elastostart rope + handle, much easier on your hands/arms, and really appreciated if you delete that base gasket! (with the Cross P+C).

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Starter rope is total crap 3 tanks and it frayed in the middle. No big deal. I have 3 ms 660 from huztl. I noticed that they keep improving the problem parts. Otherwise I love this saw, more fun with it than with all the saws I own
Maybe the starter eye bushing is bad?

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Starter eye bushing that the rope feeds through. If that eye bushing is worn, they get very very sharp and cut a starter rope in one pull.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Starter eye bushing that the rope feeds through. If that eye bushing is worn, they get very very sharp and cut a starter rope in one pull.
That'll do it too, but every chunk of white and red/orange Chinese recoil rope I've seen has been junk. 2 or 3 tanks on a 50cc saw and it breaks.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They can't even make rope correctly????
I have had great luck with the Chinese starter rope in both the small and large varieties.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have seen a lot of Chinese Rope failures, not all, but a lot.

Unfortunately, I have also seen a few people kill Stihl rope in not time. If you try real hard, you can do it.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, no matter what it is, quality is always a factor. I spend a lot more on my tree rope than the stuff at HD, because my stuff is rated about 3X stronger in the same diameter.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well got to work on the clone 660 today and it's the second one that couldn't go without a base gasket YET. Lol. But I'm not going crazy with this one this saw will be more friendly for the average person but the timing numbers are something that is different from another I've dealt with. IN-87- TR-126- EX-95. So I'm going to widen the the intake one mm on each side. And the same thing on the exhaust and add bridge ports this should be pretty tame compared to most saw's I built but at the same time not be finicky on tuning. MustangMike what do you think?

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I would raise the transfer to 120, and maybe fill the intake a bit to bring it in the low 80s. Those would be some good #s.
Yea i have to agree this cylinder is a bit off compared to most so I'll be doing a few things on to make it have better timing numbers. Now today's funny was I started on the ms440 note this has no base gasket and I took 0.010 off the base of the cylinder it's a D shape combination chamber and has a woping 0.040 for squish Ex-. 100 Tr-118 IN-. 75 OK I'm not the brightest candle in the room WOW.

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did what Mike suggested on my initial build with the stock cc p/c and it was a VERY STRONG saw!!!! I squirted a Hyway Big Bore pop up kit and went to install it and seen the big end of the rod bearing discolored and it wasn’t like that originally. I replaced it with another Hutzl/Farmertec as I didn’t know which crank it took. So far so good.... glad I caught it before any disaster took place.... it did have a full year of hard use though without any other issues. It was a very good running saw.