High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How are the Asian 660s holding up???

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Watch it though. Lot of guys in Canada and US getting taxed when they enter now.

One guy I know got a bill for over $400 in taxes on a bigger shipment of saws.

Seems to depend on if customs stops your saw or saws coming in.

Know a few folks ordering 10 paks at a time.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always replace the piston pin bearing with OEM, and the pull cord, but have had no reliability issues with the 660 clones, and have done some milling with them.

Most of the Cross Cylinders have run fairly strong for me, but all have a base gasket delete.

I had one of the Cross cylinders ported, then modded it a bit more myself, and that thing runs very strong.

The long stroke 660 seems to like a bit lower exhaust and lower intake than the shorter stroke 460, seems to let it rev better. Mine also has bridge ports and the arches in the exhaust and intake are very shallow with the ports as wide as practical.

I also heard that some of the Cross cylinders were not square with the bore, which I'm sure would hurt performance. I also cut the key to advance timing by .030.

Do you know your cylinder timing #s? There seems to be a wide variety.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not off top of head. Guessing 100ex 118 trans, no guess on intake. Checked when put together. Also no base gasket. Drinks lots of gas!
Sounds like the intake is too long.
Might get one 1122 this summer and slap on a used OE top end to see how fast is blows the bottom end out. Mill saw. It will need some bearings pretty quick I suspect. 32-1 VP.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
3:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No idea why a logging outfit that’s out to make money would take a chance at the mediocre at best quality of a china kit saw. But to each there own, the people I fix saw for that truly want to make money won’t even accept any aftermarket parts accept the meteor piston with cabers I use on occasion.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What oem comes from china? Even the Stihl branded cylinders aren’t from there that I know of lots of Brazil castings and stuff otherwise still mahle, ks or gillerdoni. Lots of the parts for Stihl saws are made in house at the factory. They make many of the parts in the same buildings the saw are made in. The only china product I currently know of on a Stihl dealers shelf for gas equipment is an fs38 trimmer.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ALWAYS flush the Chinese bearings before you even turn them. IMO, the biggest problem is they are often shipped with grit. If you flush it out the 660 bearings seem to hold up well.

For solid reliability I would always go with OEM, but for someone who just wants an occasional large saw for stumping or milling these kits can fill the void.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check where the cars come from, and also often bearings, etc.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All 660 seem to suck down fuel.

The Ex on my best running saw is in the 90s. That is out of 6 OEM + Asian 066/660s. I also built a couple of Asian 660s for others that are still running well. They both ran very well w/o any port work (those 2 cylinders looked identical).

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I know some bearings in oem saws are china but not many I’ve opened up. Most are brazil, Argentina, Germany. And I think it’s a little different if it’s a main line company like skf, slacker, nacchi ect making the bearings. I’d like to think they have a little better quality control over them than a no name bearing with china stamped on it. But this is only an opinion of mine

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carbs. I’ve seen stihl China stamped on some of them

edit: not the 660 carb, just other stihl carb on there products