Hookaroon Pickaroon

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
6:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It may seem silly, but one thing I do on mine is put a soft rubber cap over the tip when I'm done with it. It protects the tip from getting banged around when I'm packing up tools, throwing them in the truck bed...

Just like a good axe, the sharper it is the better it works.

Logrite hookaroon.jpg

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best way to sharpen one?
Grinder or file

I use a Spyderco medium (brown) bench stone. Like I was sharpening a knife. Because the Logrite has a very flat blade-like point on it, so it suits it well. It only takes a few seconds to bring it back to sharp unless you hit a rock or something.

I'm sure a file would work fine. A grinder is probably overkill but I've never tried.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It may seem silly, but one thing I do on mine is put a soft rubber cap over the tip when I'm done with it. It protects the tip from getting banged around when I'm packing up tools, throwing them in the truck bed...

Just like a good axe, the sharper it is the better it

I use a flat file for the top of the hook and a 7/32 to get the underside of the hook. The oschenkopf hook is 3 dimensional so it’s a little tricky to get all the angles perfect. I think an angle grinder would remove too much material but a stationary belt sander might do nicely.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Just like a good axe, the sharper it is the better it works.

View attachment 370788
Probably prevents some damage to other stuff too!

Philbert

FTG-05

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Made my own years ago. A couple pieces of 1/4"x2" stock and a Grade 5 1/2" bolt. Bought the ax handle from the Dog Days Flea Market.

2NkGN36.jpg

CjXu7s6.jpg

TYQWlA6.jpg

Pics were taken before I soaked the handle in Boiled Linseed Oil. I never use it. :(