thanks!

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used the Fiskars one, it helps with firewood as I can pick up small pieces (up to 10") of unsplit wood to put on the splitter without bending much, and it is good for rolling the big rounds onto the log lift.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can be handy as a reach tool, to pull rounds or logs out of a truck or trailer, as @bigbadbob notes. Also good for pulling / separating logs from a pile without getting your fingers pinched. Some are sharp enough that you can pick up a round without bending over, as @Nutball suggests, but not all, and it depends on the wood.

Good thing to have / try if you are managing a pile of wood near a splitter, cut table, etc. I like the ones with a wooden handle like an axe; they just feel good in my hands. Seen lots of home-made ones, and the aluminum handled Log Rite / STIHL styles. Here is one company that makes them:
https://www.pickaroon.com/products.htm

Philbert

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Fiskars one is a bit light weight for sticking good enough to pick op pieces. Maybe if you attached some steel plates or a chunk of lead to the pick it might sink in better. I have to swing it pretty hard, and stick it in the side with the grain, not the end or it comes out easy.

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can be handy as a reach tool, to pull rounds or logs out of a truck or trailer, as @bigbadbob notes. Also good for pulling / separating logs from a pile without getting your fingers pinched. Some are sharp enough that you can pick up a round without bending over, as @Nutball suggests, but not all, and it depends on the wood.

Good thing to have / try if you are managing a pile of wood near a splitter, cut table, etc. I like the ones with a wooden handle like an axe; they just feel good in my hands. Seen lots of home-made ones, and the aluminum handled Log Rite / STIHL styles. Here is one company that makes them:
https://www.pickaroon.com/products.htm

Philbert
I contacted the people that you listed in the link.
they are difficult to deal with, and it seems they do not do retail
Can you tell me where to buy one?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear that. I just know that a couple of guys around here had them and liked them. Not sure who retails them if they do not sell direct.

Philbert

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear that. I just know that a couple of guys around here had them and liked them. Not sure who retails them if they do not sell direct.

Philbert

Just bulk orders to company's.

Click on the "how to buy" tab and there is a retailer in MN that takes phone orders listed, or you can ask for a retailer list to find one near you.

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like my pickaroon, its a Stihl brand but if I coulda found a readily available similarly designed one I probably would have saved a few bucks..I use it in certain situations when loading and unloading wood and it saves on the ole lower back. Definitely would replace it if lost or wrecked.

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the Fiskas and use it mostly for dragging stuff closer when splitting or unloading if it's not in a dump trailer.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Fiskars pickaroon. I use it religeously. Very helpful. Ive moved many rounds with it. Good for carrying.
Only issue is the pick sometimes stays into wood to good. Gotta work at removing it.
At a GTG in MA I was moving big rounds from where they were cut to the splitter. Over 3ft in diameter. Eric's Cub Scout GTG.
@malk315
I recommend them.

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is a Husqvarna one. I was pleasantly surprised it was only $50 cdn. The handle is not impressive, but has held up so far. The head design is excellent - just the right weight and stick-in-it-ness

After having used one, I can’t imagine block8ng and splitting without

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
291160-71016e145a0512d53c3e4d636e92af57.jpg

Wood Duck

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a Fiskars, and a Logrite. I much prefer the Logrite. The Fiskars is lighter and requires you to swing it with some force to get it to bite into the wood if you're wanting to pick it up off the ground. Then it can be a little reluctant to let go of it, and you'll have to wiggle it back and forth several times to get it to release. It's hard for me to find that "sweet spot" where it doesn't fall off, but is still easily removed. The Logrite is heavier, and I like the hook design a lot better. It has enough heft that you can just let it fall under it's own weight usually, and it'll stick the wood on it own, without you swinging down with force. It also releases from the wood a LOT easier than the Fiskars does for me. I own some other Logrite peaveys and such, and I've been impressed with the rugged build quality of everything I have of theirs. Only thing I don't like is the price; sometimes quite a bit more than their competitor's, but I've weaned myself off of cheap disposable stuff over the years, and became more of a buy-once, cry-once type of guy. That said, a pickaroon/hookaroon is a pretty simple tool to build yourself as well; I've seen many old broken shovel handles over the years that have been cut down to length, a hole drilled through it on one end, and a big spike nail drove through it crossways. Drop a washer over the nail, and tack it on with a welder to keep your nail from getting driven out backwards when you stick the wood with it. Probably a 5 minute job, with free junk most of us have laying around anyway. I'll use whatever is laying close at the time, bought or homemade.