Hookaroon Pickaroon

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is a Husqvarna one. I was pleasantly surprised it was only $50 cdn. The handle is not impressive, but has held up so far. The head design is excellent - just the right weight and stick-in-it-ness

After having used one, I can’t imagine block8ng and splitting without

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Update on the handle. The pickaroon was bought last winter and after the summer the handle had shrunk so much it was loose enough that after the first day using it, I was able to wiggle the head off by hand. Rehung it with a new wedge and it is tight again. I had been cutting the last week without it. I REALLY missed having it there.

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna pickaroon handle update 2
I love the pickaroon and the head design, but the handle was not impressive from day one. Seems like ash, but not tight grained at all. Almost soft.
28e313fc4fb7a71a05c8c3e40bab8166.jpg

Because of the angle of the tip, the striking force creates a twisting moment on the head. The wood on the back of the handle failed under compression and then the rest of the handle sheared off.

I shortened the handle 4” and I’m back in action. I have a nice piece of hickory set aside for a proper replacement.I’ve already taken a template of the original.

I’m not really complaining. It’s survived 75 cords worth of blocks so far and I do freely admit to routinely carrying >24” dia rounds hanging off the tip. And sticking rounds at 20 below takes a lot more swing than above freezing.

Clarkbug

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I know this is bumping an old thread...... But I was following the links and saw this thing was on clearance at Garrett Wade......

I haven't ever used a hookaroon or a pickaroon, so was curious what those who have think of the shape of this thing. I would mostly move rounds and maybe some splits, didn't know if this would be handy.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That feldberg log pick looks well made but I’d be interested to see if the long hook makes it feel heavier when picking up rounds. It’s a nice tool though and if it was looking for another Hookeroon I’d give it a shot.

1677720608048.jpeg
I got one of these last year and I like it a lot. German made Ochsenkopf Hookaroon/Sappy, I seen it referred to both ways. It’s got good curve to the hook, which allows me to pick up heavy rounds for the splitter. I don’t use it for everything but it does help to give my back a break.

One thing that I didn’t realize before getting one is that it helps to file the hook sharp and hooked every now and then. Dirt and frozen hard knots can do a number on the tip.Just like a dull axe it won’t bite with a blunt tip.

I never saw the need for log tools like a Hookeroon or a log cant until I got them. After using them for a while I would definitely recommend them to anyone with a decent sized wood pile.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update on the handle. The pickaroon was bought last winter and after the summer the handle had shrunk so much it was loose enough that after the first day using it, I was able to wiggle the head off by hand. Rehung it with a new wedge and it is tight again. I had been cutting the last week without it. I REALLY missed having it there.

I don’t know if this would have prevented your problem but I soaked my hookeroon head in a couple inches of antifreeze. The glycol or whatever in the anti freeze is supposed to keep the wood cells swollen instead of totally evaporating like water can. It should work for axes, shovels, or anything with a wooden handle.

Clarkbug

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That feldberg log pick looks well made but I’d be interested to see if the long hook makes it feel heavier when picking up rounds. It’s a nice tool though and if it was looking for another Hookeroon I’d give it a shot.

View attachment 366826
I got one of these last year and I like it a lot. German made Ochsenkopf Hookaroon/Sappy, I seen it referred to both ways. It’s got good curve to the hook, which allows me to pick up heavy rounds for the splitter. I don’t use it for everything but it does help to give my back a break.

One thing that I didn’t realize before getting one is that it helps to file the hook sharp and hooked every now and then. Dirt and frozen hard knots can do a number on the tip.Just like a dull axe it won’t bite with a blunt tip.

I never saw the need for log tools like a Hookeroon or a log cant until I got them. After using them for a while I would definitely recommend them to anyone with a decent sized wood pile.
I'm still trying to figure out the difference between a pickaroon and a hookaroon, and then that log hook thing popped up and made me more confused. Having never used any of them, I don't know which would be a better use case if I were to go looking. Seems like they mostly help snag rounds and drag them where they need to be?

Sorry if it's a silly question....

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t believe I went decades without one. I use it every time I cut wooo now.
Same here. Tall guy and I never used one, killed my back all the time.

Since I got my 36" logrite hookaroon a few years ago I don't know how I lived without it. Useful for moving brush, splits, rounds, logs... Use it constantly.

And the next day my back feels great!

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna pickaroon handle update 2
I love the pickaroon and the head design, but the handle was not impressive from day one. Seems like ash, but not tight grained at all. Almost soft.
28e313fc4fb7a71a05c8c3e40bab8166.jpg

Because of the angle of the tip, the striking force creates a twisting moment on the head. The wood on the back of the handle failed under compression and then the rest of the handle sheared off.

I shortened the handle 4” and I’m back in action. I have a nice piece of hickory set aside for a proper replacement.I’ve already taken a template of the original.

I’m not really complaining. It’s survived 75 cords worth of blocks so far and I do freely admit to routinely carrying >24” dia rounds hanging off the tip. And sticking rounds at 20 below takes a lot more swing than above freezing.

Update 3
A year later and the handle is another 4” shorter. My hickory handle is still a blank and I was cutting blocks , so I bought a Logrite. Not sure I like it better than the husqvarna, but it is certainly tougher. I’ve had it a week now and finally getting the right swing for it. The tip angle is straighter so a different swing is needed. The husqvarna with wood handle and heavier head feels better balanced and the axe handle shape makes for easier lifting, but the Logrite does stick well. The round handle I don’t like though. It should be oval so I don’t have to look at the tip angle. Eventually I will complete the replacement handle for the Husky and then do aside by side.

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I'm a firewood guy who often noodles big rounds into smaller sections to make them manageable to get on my splitter. You're telling me with a hookeroon I can grab the pieces and not have to bend over? How well does it grab into the wood? Are you basically just spearing the wood with the tip and then lifting? Is the weight limit determined solely by how much the user can lift?

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I'm a firewood guy who often noodles big rounds into smaller sections to make them manageable to get on my splitter. You're telling me with a hookeroon I can grab the pieces and not have to bend over? How well does it grab into the wood? Are you basically just spearing the wood with the tip and then lifting? Is the weight limit determined solely by how much the user can lift?
Depending on the wood type and size of the round, yup it can lift whatever you can. It’s a bit tricky but when you hit the wood you hook it into the wood fibers and then when you pick up it sets the hook. Doesn’t work for everything, it’ll bounce off frozen maple or hardened ash.

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's plenty of YouTube videos of people using them. Watch some in action.

I use my logrite hookaroon to move large hardwood rounds (~24") to the splitter and 8' hardwood logs (~16") on the log pile all the time. I drag brush, pick splits, lift tools off the ground... It's the one tool I never do woods work without.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh yeah. I didn’t believe it until I got one. I got the Logerite I believe it’s called. About two or three months ago. Now I would not be without it.

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For rounds under about 8", swing and stick, then swing the entire hookaroon with log at the end of the handle to the other side, give a little shake and it drops off.
For 8-12" , swing and stick, but then you have to lift and move the log (still holding the end of the handle) to where you want.
Over about 14", once you swing and stick, choke up on the handle until your hand is just under the head, then lift and carry.
Over 24", do the same, but slide your other hand under the base of the round to support it better.

Green hardwood, mostly maple and red oak.

As mentioned above, with the right swing, you can stick it well enough to hold in any block you can lift - EXCEPT if the wood is frozen solid. Then sugar maple and beech tend to bounce. Ash and oak still stick.