Home Made Mills

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
looks great. I'm using wood blocks for spacers too, just so i'm as close as i can be to parallel.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what do you guys think of this guys setup? I found this video and thought that it would be an easy setup to at least start out with.

Edit: I would at the very least add a handle to it instead of pushing with my foot.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Lol... I plan on using my foot for sure!

Edit...
My wife would probably love to video me cutting for along time... Over my dead body.

Last edited:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I watched that video early on looking for tips and tricks. I'd love to have some of that lumber!!! I can't comment on his rig, seems to work pretty good except for the lack of handle, like you stated. I'd imagine the all-thread rod has some flex.

HighSierras

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
His homemade mill would work fine, but, geez, his body position is terrible. There's no reason to tweak your body like that. Milling is tiring enough as it is. Adding a handle in the middle of the mill and raising one end of the log would go a long way toward not destroying yourself.

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Always try to cut green. Dry wood is very tough to mill. The wood coming off the chain when milling resembles the dust from a circular saw. When dry its worse and makes things 100x harder all the way around.
so thats why i was struggling the other day. 2 year old dry blackbutt gum.:(