Help the others when you go.......

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This might not be the right place and maybe even inappropriate. But I just lost my good friend of almost 20yr Tom. And seeing the confusion and mess left behind from his sudden departure. The second time I've seen the exact same thing. I can't do that to my wife and family if I go suddenly.

What I'm going to do besides a will is have a notebook titled when I die. Will be kept in the safe where my wife has access. In the book will be contact information, user names and passwords. And most importantly a little direction and guidance on some of the equipment values and who they can trust on selling should they decide.

Both my friend Nick that past a few years ago and now my bud Tom. Left their family with zero direction. And if they cannot get into Tom's phone. The odds of finding the correct people for the correct thing's will be impossible.

So not to be morbid..... But it happens to us all eventually. Lets try to set those up that survive us a little better than just a will.

Steven

Last edited:

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This might not be the right place and maybe even inappropriate. But I just lost my good friend of almost 20yr Tom. And seeing the confusion and mess left behind from his sudden departure. The second time I've seen the exact same thing. I can't do that to my wife and family if I go suddenly.

What I'm going to do besides a will is have a notebook titled when I die. Will be kept in the safe where my wife has access. In the book will be contact information, user names and passwords. And most importantly a little direction and guidance on some of the equipment values and who they can trust on selling should they decide.

Both my friend Nick that past a few years ago and now my bud Tom. Left their family with zero direction. And if they cannot get into Tom's phone. The odds of finding the correct people for the correct thing's will be impossible.

So not to be morbid..... But it happens to us all eventually. Lets try to set those up that survive us a little better than just a will.

Steven
Something I need to do as well. Sorry about your friend.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steven
This is a great reminder & excellent advice.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So sorry for your loss.

I think it's a great idea sharing this with others.
I know when I've mentioned to others mom and I had our wills made when dad passed, they usually say something like, "Oh, we haven't gotten around to that yet" ... like if they don't think about death, maybe it won't happen.

Like you, I have all my important papers together in a safe place, along with a copy of my will which also includes where to find all my passwords.
I've also done up my obituary, paid for my cremation, and added my name to my parents grave stone - all that needs to be added is the date of death.

As we all know, it's hard enough dealing with the death of a loved one, even more difficult when you have to deal with the details.
"Get your affairs in order" as they say, is great advice.

Besides...

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree 100%. First of all, sorry about the losses of your close friends.
One of the guys I worked with a few years ago, just went through kind of the same thing with his wife. She passed, and never really realized what was required to take care of all the “things” that need to be done. It was quite an eye opener for me.