StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
5:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello everyone! Apologies for this long post I promise this will be the only super long one I make I'm just excited. Quick question for people who know but don't want to read all the way to the bottom or skim it finding the questions. Will a hd12b work on the 372 xtourq if boot is modified? It seems to be same diameter as non xtourq just has that divider in it.

I'm new to this site and well chainsaws in general. I've been reading some posts on working on chainsaws and this place seems to be the best out of the different sites. My chainsaw back story. first time I ever saw or heard a chainsaw I was about 9 or 10 out wondering the wooded area by my house. I stumbled upon a drunk man running a chainsaw,the sound the smell just peaked my childhood curiosity. I thought I had to hold it and rev it a few times. I spoke with the guy and In his drunken state he passed me the saw and with guidance helped me fell 3 trees right then and there( he was helping me hold the saw when I did this) nothing bad came out of this instance 4 months ago I got my first saw from Wilco (prior to this I had went a dark direction in life with drugs which I do have 10years of sobriety now)

my first saw Stihl 271 which has lead me into a new addiction with saws 🤣 all the research I've been doing since getting that saw has made me realize how stupid that man was and how lucky i am to not have been injured. That drunk man's saw was a 070 with I want to say 30+ inch bar and chain. Maybe that is why when I got my 271 I craved more. Not even 1 week into owning that saw I picked up a pinkway from Amazon only because I'd never seen a purple saw before when it showed up the 271 was apart and the jug thrown into a vise I slightly raised the roof of the exhaust semi polished I widen the lower transfers a bit and added finger ports to it(bell hopper inspired) it woke up but still left me wanting more then I grabbed a g660 ya i know clones aren't really something most of y'all like but i couldn't afford a real one it has a big bore with pop up hwy titanikel. I slightly ported intake raised the upper transfers with a flat diamond dremel burr and light finger ports angled towards intake. (Chamfering ports with foredom blue ceramic stones ball shaped is superior to diamond burrs in my opinion) and I used the poor mans lathe a piece of glass with sand paper glued to it squish .25 175psi and has OEM carburetor with what Amazon said was the warhawk made by some name i cant recall but it showed up in a hwy package timing is unknown i dont have a timing wheel. It's a beast for sure. then I picked up a g372xp pro yes another clone same thing ported ground transfer wall flat with matting surface quad muffler ports which look horrible but i used what had on hand .35 flux core wire, so the seams around the tubing is thick as hell because build up was needed. Any of y'all used flux core know what a pain in the ass it is to weld thin metal with.oem walbro hd 12b I believe it's the b whatever hlsproparts has on there site for close to100$ oem boot holder pice and air filter and filter mount and oem coil(blue) didnt know when i got the coil that there is a difference. I really liked that saw it took to the oak on my property perfectly, tuned easy enough even with what i hear is the finicky limited coil My intention with the 372 was to swapp out part by part when i could afford it. About 5 days ago I got a screaming deal on a used 372 xtourq 28inch oregon bar stihl skip tooth sqaure cut chain it was all stock parts besides bar and chain of course for 250$. I was sceptical at first but it being made in 2012 was in great running condition no vacuum or pressure leaks guy apparently used nothing but ethanol free gas liqui moly 2 stroke oil 40:1 ( I say it was all stock because IDK why but the g372xps trigger and lock had to be swapped over the hydro dipped trigger just looks cool to me plus I modified a 660 wrap around handle to it. I really didn't like the OEM handle getting in the way with clutch and bar cover nuts. Currently awaiting for new carb rebuild kit. I accidentally damaged the valve diaphragm. I pulled the limiter caps and pulled it apart to clean it out with carburetor cleaner when re installing the diaphragm i tore it with one of the screws. I'm just wondering how many have had their saw addiction progress this fast or faster? Ive got to say from what I've read on here y'all seem like my majik family ( if you know you know) the negativity in life has driven me to isolation and the positivity and constructive criticism of this site I feel like it will help guide me in this new addiction of mine 🤣

Btw the 271 is not the first port work I've done. It is the first 2 stroke I've ever worked on tho. I've done a couple ls engines. I've got a foredom tx with 4 hand pieces metal pedal and pfred burrs no right angle handpiece tho. To those who have the higher quality right angles are they really worth it? I really don't want to drop the money on it if its not worth it my foredom is the only tool I will kill someone for so I refuse to buy the cheap right angle. Sorry again for the long post I'm looking forward to have other people to talk to about chainsaw related topics.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my first saw Stihl 271 which has lead me into a new addiction with saws 🤣
The 271 is a good saw, I have two of them now, both of them had burnt clutches when I got them, but now repaired. The only downside I can see is the lack of aftermarket cylinders.

I grabbed a g660 ya i know clones aren't really something most of y'all like but i couldn't afford a real one
Work with what you can afford...I usually get mine from the dump or given to me by people I know. Doesn't hurt as much practicing on a $300 saw compared to an $800 saw.

the negativity in life has driven me to isolation and the positivity and constructive criticism of this site I feel like it will help guide me in this new addiction of mine 🤣
This site has been great, lots of very helpful people around the world sharing information in one spot! CAD is a disease we all have to some degree or another, we have to be careful it does spread. Luckily my wife has not caught it yet, though she is very happy with her unmodified GTA 26.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
6:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome!

Will an HD 12 work on an XT? I don’t know from experience but signs point to No. You need a lot more air to feed a strato intake and jug. I think it will choke.
But you don’t have much to lose by trying.

As far as porting, yes, the 182 hand piece is worth it. The Lucky Dog Mfr contra angle is also worth every penny and can do most of the work the 182 does, you just can’t be as aggressive. It’s about half the cost.

A lathe is also worth it.

Clones aren’t the worst place to start. Better than clapped saws with a thousand unforeseen problems. But they can be frustrating. Especially to a porter. I’ve learned the hard way that working with clean, quality saws in good or new condition pays dividends on time and stress.

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya I could tell the difference between the 271 and as of last night the xtorq vs the clone saw jugs. The grind just feels better with the real cylinder. When I was porting ls heads they were always OEM and brand new still with machine oil from manufacturer. I'd imagine it would Still be the same as far as grind feel goes. IDK how to describe that feeling. OEM feels stiff but controllable and chips alot fiber and comes out cleaner. Clones feel like soggy bread with crushed up saltine crackers . The hyw titanikel felt a lot better than the holzfforma jugs but not as good as OEM.

StihlEchoingHusky

Well-Known OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so currently this is the pictures I've got. I'm absolutely to rough with my phone's im actually on my 3rd phone in 3 months 🤣 most of what pictures I did take of the porting of these is lost to broken phones bad part of being constantly on my feet working on whatever our 20 acre property needs done with less than acceptable tools ie yardmax 201cc push mower a fs56c and husky 330lk ( the Troyilt pony in the picture needs rebuilt) plus taking care of my 100% disabled veteran father at the same time suffering from hyperhidrosis over active sweat glands. I'm always wearing fitness type shorts unless I'm cutting wood or welding if there is 2 feet of snow I'm more than likely in shorts and a tee shirt with that being said I tend to walk A LOT faster than most people and my phones like to lfly out of them. (Barn on the property was built in 1899 and current house was constructed 3 weeks after the spark of WW2 September 22 1939 original house burnt down 1934. Terracotta septic leach field if any of y'all have had the honor of working on such a sofisticated highly advanced piece of poo technology then you know.🤣 Ok to the jugs and a picture of the 372xtorq I just snagged. The finger port looks a lot better than it does in this picture but it was done with a straight hand piece with a 1/8 pfred burr followed by a diamond burr then a ceramic stone. First time I've ever "trenched" something before. I've slightly changed combustion chambers bowls on ls heads but mainly to bring them to a mirror finish. The thing you see wrapped around it is paper towels and tape I was trying to muffle the grinding sound it a 3 am didn't want to be a dick and be loud the whole time the one jug with *f-worded geometry was the good old farmertec 660 anf the other jug is more of a question its a fs56c are alot of 2 smokers like this with their lower transfer? It looks like a mini 372. The reason behind why I had the jug off is new piston Stihl really did a terrific job at chamfering their ports on it. New piston on a trimmer that was only a month old ran same ration I run on everything else 40:1 tuned properly as well just a touch on the riScreenshot_20240805-224909.pngScreenshot_20240805-224617.pngch side. Kinda bummed on that but I know it's not a professional quality built trimmer but bearing the name I was expecting better than this. Screenshot_20240805-224535.pngScreenshot_20240805-224756.png