davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
6:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was forklifting large dry euc rounds onto the press table and splitting there. Made a mess in the shop and then the logistics/handling. I borrowed a splitter that flips vertical and split them in the yard. Wrestling the heavy rounds around bent over was a chore. Crooked grain and knots still split all goofy. I started noodling but the cracks make tension so the saw would pinch. Got the Isocore and discovered the rounds split a lot easier working in from the edges instead of trying to split on existing radial cracks. Split with that down to the hard core or side knot chunks, and then noodle those with the saw. Easier and makes even chunks despite goofy grain. Delivered a dump trailer load last night…that was easy.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the maul to get them small enough to be picked up on the splitter table.

View attachment 364251
I'm gonna have to review my legal logging briefs, but I'm pretty sure you have broken all cutting laws bye not having your chainsaw in the pic!
GOOD DAY SIR!

Nice score there!:cool:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a spare couple of hours not the best grained ash some of it had too cut with
The saw

View attachment 363872
I have about three customers who would buy firewood logs cut this short. They all have pot belly stoves.

One time I delivered a truckload to a customer that were cut this length, and he told me to keep them all. Never again.:(

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks at least 16" long (which is standard around here).
I cut em even shorter cause I just burn to cook in the firepit (sold 18 Rick's 17" long firewood last year).
Makes for easier splitting & quicker coals in my case.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks at least 16" long (which is standard around here).
I cut em even shorter cause I just burn to cook in the firepit (sold 18 Rick's 17" long firewood last year).
Makes for easier splitting & quicker coals in my case.
Gullet, I believe you are looking at the wrong Pic attachment. I was referring to attachment 363872:
View attachment 363872

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
9:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good methods in your madness I like seeing a clean woodland on a cold winter day looks nice and dry

It usually stays fairly dry up there. It's a muddy mess right now due to freeze and heave every night. Did best I could around the woodyard to spread out sawdust. Beats slopping around. Used to use oak bark for floor tiles, but found it's better used as a base & top cover for stacks.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the maul to get them small enough to be picked up on the splitter table.

View attachment 364251
If your back ever gives up like mine has, you can noodle cut them down with the bar running the same direction as the wood grain:
1676392664016.jpeg
I usually use my Stihl 441c for this. Sometimes the halves need to be cut once again to form quarters. The noodles make pretty good kindling or stable straw.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your back ever gives up like mine has, you can noodle cut them down with the bar running the same direction as the wood grain:
View attachment 364837
I usually use my Stihl 441c for this. Sometimes the halves need to be cut once again to form quarters. The noodles make pretty good kindling or stable straw.
I collect wood chips for flower and animal bedding.
Down to 3 jumbo bags full with no new chips planned anytime soon.

I noodle only knotty stuff, my back hurts more from noodling rounds than from splitting them.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From this...
IMG_20230410_163041.jpg

...to this.
IMG_20230422_133921.jpg

Talking oak/turkey oak, buck and split the same day, the rounds will crack open much more willingly!
A round is harder to split as the open grain surface dries.
Dead standing "dry" trunks still contained moisture and were barely cracked from drying - they split well once bucked up.
All of it got split with a fairly lightweight 1.8kg ax on a 40" long handle - my Dragon Slayer.
IMG_20230422_132120.jpg

Last edited:

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From this...
View attachment 374887

...to this.
View attachment 374889

Talking oak/turkry oak, buck and split the same day, the rounds will crack open much more willingly!
A round is harder to split as the open grain surface dries.
Dead standing "dry" trunks still contained moisture and were barely cracked from drying - they split well once bucked up.
All of it got split with a fairly lightweight 1.8kg ax on a 40" long handle - my Dragon Slayer.
View attachment 374890
Looks good!

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_4240.jpegFound my axe. Somewhere maybe this thread i mentioned I dumped a dump truck load of wood on top. Just didn’t know which load it was under. Found it recently. Had a lot of gum and crooked mulberry so didn’t split much by hand this time.