Gutting the hinge discussion

Stihlalltheway

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On small trees to push a wedge through, or hardwoods to save the butt log. Can help with healthy green trees to get some directional stuff going too, don’t go crazy with it on snags and don’t take out more than you really need

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
2:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only when I screw up and the tree needs a tickle. The flat top cutters are artists.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
11:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should have been a little clearer on my OP. I've studied and used them before but I'm kicking some theories around and wanted to stir up some discussion.

Last year I experimented with trying to get (green) brittle eucalyptus to hinge. The normal box face/trad humboldt and high back cut with a thin hinge (theory being it would flex) didn't really work. Would just snap off top or bottom or crush under the weight of the tree. Where I had more success was thicker hinges, more wood in the front to compress and in the rear to pull (a low back cut seemed to help the one time I tried it) but those were tall trees winched over. Trying to wedge them would be a booger, so I'm thinking gutting to make them easier to wedge. Since I can't get out and do it now, figured I'd get it kicked around some.

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was wondering the same thing last night. Thinking if you gutted the middle of the hinge on a hard leaning ash along with bore cutting the back would that reduce the risk of barberchairs?
Can it be used to steer trees to save banging wedges? I cut for some buddy’s with sawmills but mostly it’s going for firewood so pull doesn’t matter as much as safety (priority) and direction

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it helps prevent pull. If you want to avoid pull, talk to or watch @afleetcommand stuff on YT.
Yeah have done a lot of ash over the years. Also have a bunch of video's demonstrating the pro's and cons :) But to the gut the hinge thing.... you HAVE to know your tree's , last thing u want to do is take too much and let the leaner release too soon with too weak a hinge while your cutting. Here is one of many from a coupled years back where I wrestle with that :) A few things I don't know if I mentioned, the open face means the tree is almost on the ground before there is a chance of that face cut closing and snapping the hinge. Something many don't think about, when ever the hinge closes to soon on these, it either pulls or breaks and pulls :) IF if breaks... it drops to the heavy side as the hinge no longer has any control....its broke :)

Also on heavy lean tree's they "stick" as they want to go to the heavy side, not where the hinge tries to guide them, so need enough hinge to "hang" on while wedging over that tree. And often I support the heavy side hinge with wedges. as well.

On that tree the hinge broke before closing the hinge....what I want. Partly because the OTHER little detail is the tree is crushing the hinge as it begins it's journey down, and that at times can compromise the hinge as well.....and it was cold, real cold that day also effecting the wood characteristics :)

This was with a 372 based saw with a 28inch bar & chain combo. Had to cut root flares both to reduce chance of pulls but also the reach thru with that 28 inch Bare. :) Also left a little "heavier" than usual hinge because it was a heavy lean tree... I'll post a video later I guess of some HUGE dead and rotter Ash felling. That was scary stuff. But first this one :

Last edited:

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some raw video of big dead tree's that can kill you if they chair. And they want to chair . Have to not let the face cut close until I'm way gone. And bore cut as much as possible before cutting the trigger :)

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last in this video I wanted to show what propagates a barber chair, so I left a LOT of hinge to show how the chair starts at the back....didn't quite get it to barber chair but you can see how the stress forms that can create one. I will prolly re do this video and force a chair for demo purposes. But "staged" this with too thick of a hinge one with the middle cut out and the first one the thick hinge all the way across....the difference is what is at the heart of this thread :)

Last edited: