Gun range 2022,2023,2024

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's all good, I'm used to it. I became a 9mm fan back in the 2000's when everybody was hating on the 9mm and worshipping the .40. Somehow, bullet technology has advanced the 9mm into the capability of a tactical nuke and nowadays only knuckle dragging fools are shooting .40's. Makes me want to get back into the .40!

old saw fixer

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a more serious note-
Does anyone have any experience with a Browning Silver 20 gauge shotgun? I have a Browning Gold 12 gauge and like it.
I'm interested in getting one and just want some input.
Yes, I know they are expensive and Mossberg etc. are cheaper. I don't intend to leave my children any money!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No experience with that one in particular, but I've never heard of a Browning shotgun that wasn't excellent.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not into shooting but why is that? I thought it was a good cartridge. The memes are hilarious though...
Never shot one but a local deer processing shop won't take deer shot with it
They say the bullet's fragment and tear up their blades on slicer's and cubers
A local gunstore won't take them in on trades.images (21).jpeg
Lot's of hate for it though.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
6:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a more serious note-
Does anyone have any experience with a Browning Silver 20 gauge shotgun? I have a Browning Gold 12 gauge and like it.
I'm interested in getting one and just want some input.
Yes, I know they are expensive and Mossberg etc. are cheaper. I don't intend to leave my children any money!
I have one and I like it a lot. At the time I bought it…maybe 10 years ago, it was the only 20ga semi that would reliably shoot the cheap Walmart variety target load. There may be other options now, but I never saw a good reason to get rid of it.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never shot one but a local deer processing shop won't take deer shot with it
They say the bullet's fragment and tear up their blades on slicer's and cubers
A local gunstore won't take them in on trades.View attachment 393116
Lot's of hate for it though.

That has zilch to do with the cartridge itself. There is a current trend of using frangible target bullets for big game, especially with the 6.5. Really dumb idea that has caught on. With a real 140 grain hunting bullet the 6.5 is no more likely to fragment than any other cartridge. Probably less so given the high sectional density of that bullet. If the 6.5 was in fact likely to fragment, then any of the smallbore magnums would do it even worse given the much higher velocities and usually lower sectional density bullets.

The 6.5=ghey memes are funny but I'm still a big fan of the round. Planning to add another one to the battery at some point.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I have a problem. My Traditions Pursuit XLT .50 caliber is not getting along with 200 grain Lee .44 RNFP boolits in Harvester sabots and 80 grains T7. No accuracy whatsoever, as in like 5-7 inches between shots at 60 yards. I'm not much of a marksman, but I'm not that bad! Could the 1:24 twist be too fast for this rather light boolit? Should I bump up the charge to 100 grains? Looks like I'll be using the side lock with round balls this season!

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I have a problem. My Traditions Pursuit XLT .50 caliber is not getting along with 200 grain Lee .44 RNFP boolits in Harvester sabots and 80 grains T7. No accuracy whatsoever, as in like 5-7 inches between shots at 60 yards. I'm not much of a marksman, but I'm not that bad! Could the 1:24 twist be too fast for this rather light boolit? Should I bump up the charge to 100 grains? Looks like I'll be using the side lock with round balls this season!
How tight is the sabot in the bore?
I bought a Knight from a friend who couldn’t make it shoot. When I loaded it with Saboted bullets, there was very little resistance as the bullet was being seated. I tried a larger diameter bullet and it solved the problem.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems tight to me, but I have zilch experience with sabots. Always used round balls and conicals before. Mebbe I should try some .44 jacketed bullets and see if anything changes.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems tight to me, but I have zilch experience with sabots. Always used round balls and conicals before. Mebbe I should try some .44 jacketed bullets and see if anything changes.
After you shoot it, look at the sabot and see how deep the rifling grooves are. That’s what Clued me in to a possible problem. The sabots showed very shallow rifling grooves and looked almost like they had skidded through the bore. I was shooting jacketed bullets initially and went to a larger diameter cast bullet. I don’t own the gun any more but I think I ended up using .432 bullets in the sabots.

I shoot 200gr .44 cal bullets in .44 spec and .44 mag out of 1/20“ twist barrels with no issues. I wouldn’t think that 1/24” would be too fast.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Now that I think about it, the first shot fired was dead on as I remember from last year. I have the regular Harvester sabots and the crush ribs. Mebbe the rifle doesn't like the crush ribs. Also, the bullets I fired had been stored in speed loaders since last year. I bet the speed loader compressed the sabot enough to make it undersize. Will give it another try this afternoon with sabots out of the bag.

Reactions: Lnk

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried it with sabots out of the bag and got the same results. Just for fun, I tried patched round balls. Accuracy was noticeably better but still terrible any way you look at it. Gonna try it again with some Hornady jacketed bullets that an awesome member here was kind enough to send me. If that doesn't work, I'll try some full bore lead slugs. If that doesn't work, I 'spose I'll see what Traditions has to say about it. If this rifle will only shoot a certain type of pricey factory projectiles well then it's getting sold or traded. I know my sidelocks are deadly with plain old round balls at least to 60 yards or so, and if a high tech inline can't do that with a common sabot load then I call it a hard fail.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey, anybody know if the old school Thompson Center 370 grain Maxi-Bullet works well out of modern fast twist inline rifles? I have a line on one of these molds for a very good price. I know this has long been the gold standard bullet for the faster twist sidelocks.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well,I went ahead and bought the mold. Looks to be in really nice shape and comes with a set of new Lee handles for $35 shipped. If it doesn't work, I can easily sell just the mold for twice that.