Gun Range 2024

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My son in laws father has a TC Contender pistol with a 44 mag barrel & 45colt/410 barrel, he offered to sell me. It also has a laser sight on it. The unit belonged to his late FIL.

It seems to me there is no middle ground on these, either love them or don’t see much use for them.

I already have a single shot 410 & the TC’s seem a bit overpriced.

He is wanting $850 for it.

My son pretty much has me talked out of it.

What do you gents think of the TC Contenders ?

I have yet to lay eyes on it, he was trying to sell it at a local to him shop & they gave him range of 975 - 1125. He said it was offered at 900 at the shop for couple months & didn’t sell. He called me before he takes it to Cabelas.

Unless you really want it, I would pass. At the end of the day you are buying an $850.00 single shot. That price will buy you a new Henry lever action or a nice used Marlin 1895. Or almost any factory bolt action under the sun. Extra barrels are creeping into the $500 range and will just keep going up. My understanding is that Smith and Wesson has placed T/C up for sale and there is currently no factory support or parts for them, and won't be until somebody buys T/C. The new buyer may wash their hands of everything made by previous versions of T/C and you'd be in the same situation. I've pondered getting into the T/C single shots and just can't find any real justification for it, at least not for what they cost these days.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a TC Encore handgun with 14” barrels in .223 and .308. It’s fun to play with. It shoots well but without a rest is pretty impossible to shoot accurately. I have optics on both barrels.
Years ago, I had a Contender with 10” barrels in .44, 45/410 and .22lr. Fun to shoot as well but not really practical, at least for me. The barrels had open sights and were fun to take to the range and shoot at distant targets off of the bench. Off hand, they were difficult to shoot accurately. The .410 was fun occasionally for clay birds.
They do have a niche market however. Like you said, people seem to either love them or hate them. I like owning one for the fun factor.

Unless you really want it, I would pass. At the end of the day you are buying an $850.00 single shot. That price will buy you a new Henry lever action or a nice used Marlin 1895. Or almost any factory bolt action under the sun. Extra barrels are creeping into the $500 range and will just keep going up. My understanding is that Smith and Wesson has placed T/C up for sale and there is currently no factory support or parts for them, and won't be until somebody buys T/C. The new buyer may wash their hands of everything made by previous versions of T/C and you'd be in the same situation. I've pondered getting into the T/C single shots and just can't find any real justification for it, at least not for what they cost these days.

Thanks for the input fellas. It would likely just be a play thing & I can buy a lot of other play or useful things for $850.

Already having a single shot 410, I don’t have much need for that aspect of it. If I was in snake country or regularly hunting there I could justify it but I am not & don’t anticipate spending anytime amount of time there.

If it was in the $400-$500 range I would be far more tempted.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a different note, I got the atn mounted & sighted in to 25 yds at least. Its been to windy to check it at longer distances, 200 yds will be my longest as the 17hmr will really lose it pop after that, more likely after 150.

I am not sure I trust the ballistic calculator in the scope so some field testing is required.

A2A97919-6BE3-4599-8462-1E8297119648.jpeg74FE42AE-C0D7-4D14-840B-CB2244144D2D.jpegE2B1F5E2-38A5-477B-9640-F77CA40AC550.jpeg5D17064B-2893-4104-9A43-2EB68C9DB90C.jpeg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love my .22 LR Ruger American! Mine wears a Williams FP receiver sight with fiber optic front and it's more accurate than I can hold.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Moving right along, he has a High Standard 22LR/22Mag with 9” barrel & 2 cylinders he is offering up as well.

Reviews seem to very good & the guns are well built.

This is something I could use alot plinking & shooting frogs n such.

What’s the thoughts on these units ?

Heritage sells the Roughrider for around $180, I believe after my reading the High Standard is better made.

Reactions: Lnk

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Moving right along, he has a High Standard 22LR/22Mag with 9” barrel & 2 cylinders he is offering up as well.

Reviews seem to very good & the guns are well built.

This is something I could use alot plinking & shooting frogs n such.

What’s the thoughts on these units ?

Heritage sells the Roughrider for around $180, I believe after my reading the High Standard is better made.
While I have no experience with high standard revolvers, everything I have ever shot that was a high standard was amazingly accurate. Wouldn't even mention rough rider in the same paragraph.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While I have no experience with high standard revolvers, everything I have ever shot that was a high standard was amazingly accurate. Wouldn't even mention rough rider in the same paragraph.
This is what I was after, I figure if it will shoot 22LR & 22Mags, is in decent condition & we can agree on a price, I’ll take it.

There are 2 on gun broker that just hit the block so in a couple weeks we will see what they bring.

The local shop told him $460 - $560, which I think is ridiculous. I am thinking $350 or less.

Reactions: Lnk

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is what I was after, I figure if it will shoot 22LR & 22Mags, is in decent condition & we can agree on a price, I’ll take it.

There are 2 on gun broker that just hit the block so in a couple weeks we will see what they bring.

The local shop told him $460 - $560, which I think is ridiculous. I am thinking $350 or less.
The supermatic trophy is as accurate as the smith model 41. I can't imagine the revolvers being bad. Can't comment on prices, but it can't be a bad investment at any price. They aren't making any more.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally bailed out my Ruger Super Wrangler yesterday. Man, this is a nice sixgun. Seems to be quite accurate with just about any kind of ammo. Only thing that sux is, the trigger is definitely heavy and creepy. It doesn't bother me that much but I could see it being a big deal for some. Certainly, if you were going to use it for small game at longer distances. I'm just going to use the Super Wrangler for low cost practice and figure it will improve as I fire more rounds. For $259.00 I think it's an awesome deal!

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally bailed out my Ruger Super Wrangler yesterday. Man, this is a nice sixgun. Seems to be quite accurate with just about any kind of ammo. Only thing that sux is, the trigger is definitely heavy and creepy. It doesn't bother me that much but I could see it being a big deal for some. Certainly, if you were going to use it for small game at longer distances. I'm just going to use the Super Wrangler for low cost practice and figure it will improve as I fire more rounds. For $259.00 I think it's an awesome deal!
I’ve been wanting one.