High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Getting ready for winter

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Nah! Splitting by hand is good for ya. Timing is the key. When he/she pisses you off, head out to the wood pile with your favorite chunk of metal and let er rip! It'll bring down the blood pressure. :pesas:

I use a standard 8 lb maul, nothing fancy, and a 4 lb Kobalt splitting axe. The maul bounced off or just left divits until I gave it some love with an 80 grit flapwheel. Now it splits most anything. The rubber portion of the fiberglass handle on the Kobalt went to crap quickly. It's too wide where it meets the axehead and catches as the axehead moves through the round. I'll just exchange it if need be under the lifetime warranty.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Getting ready for winter here also. I'm collecting materials as fast a possible myself. Why did the interior walls come pre-fabed two days ago and the roof ain't finished?...

Everything seems to be random the last few years. I'm not complaining just trying to keep up.

Three quarter driveway stone for the base looks like the only big purchase to build this half baked thing. My horseshoe drive needs more stone anyway. Got five more HD plastic pallets to add in the base under the floor. More cedar trees coming for beams and post under the awning :)
Scored some perfect red oak pallets and plenty more left there to be had. Got most of the steel sheets 3.2 x 25.5 here and unloaded, whew, damn they are floppy.

Scoped out a boiler by Weil Mclain today with a rectangle tank and almost full to, bonus. This winter is looking good for once. Back to the firewood today. Hearth and base for the inside stove needs to be done by next month. No rest for the wicked :eek:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Is it better to split firewood this way?
I couldn't even watch that video, all I've seen was the guy is splitting branch sized wood and he doesn't have a decent chopping block but talks about stability while chopping.

I like my chopping blocks as large in diameter as possible for stability and 70-80cm (28-32") high.
I have four around my wood pile and two in the shed.

Is a maul better then axe?
It is a matter of perspective and depends on Your splitting style and experience.
Wood species and when You split Your rounds also matters.

I have tried mauls and maul/ax hybrids and I didn't like them.
Out of close to a dozen axes that I own I have ONE that does all the work, it is under 5lbs and paired up with a 40" long handle - the lightweight head reduces fatigue while the long handle increases impact force.
Without this one ax I would have gotten a splitter a long time ago.

I mainly split oak/turkey oak, this year I have a load of ash and beech.
I prefer my firewood logs to be as large in diameter as possible.
I split by hand with an ax and I actually enjoy it.
Very knotty rounds get noodled down in size to fit the cast iron fireplace in the living room.
The rounds that I end up noodling are like 5% of my entire firewood requirements the most.
Even a knot can be split, it just looks ugly after getting split while noodling makes nice flat surfaces.

In my humble experience splitting seasoned rounds is tougher than splitting fresh bucked rounds.
I only buck as much as I can split the same day.

Some of my videos

Broken

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have 2, cord of mixed maple and mountain ash to pile this weekend , that with the previously 8 cord of cottonwood and silver birch that I split last fall mostly with a hydraulic splitter , shall do me for the next 2 yrs . I have about 2 cords of slab cedar ready for kindling that my daughter finished bucking up last month with the new 543 xp .

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
11:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think this is worth it for seasoned wood?
Nope, but I guess it depends where you are.
That looks like it would work out to about $300 a cord, for cash and carry.
Most sellers around me get $300 a cord, delivered and stacked.