Trader history (2)

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've machined many cylinders in the past years for those looking to try porting that don't have a lathe. I usually charge around $70 to cut the base and squishband.
$70 I'd say is a great deal considering the setup time involved. I'm just in this for the experience and more time on my lathe.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what I have also but I have the Jet variation. I believe mine is a Jet BD920N. I think all or most of the 9x19 and 9x20 machines where about the same. Can't hardly find parts for mine anymore. Have to buy parts for a grizzly G4000.
I will probably upgrade to a 10" lathe soon.

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will probably upgrade to a 10" lathe soon.
I have already found myself wanting a bigger machine several times. Trying to pace myself and learn all I can on this lathe before I go bigger. I've done a few mods to it already. I've done the 4 bolt hold down, added a DRO to track carriage movement, increased the diameter of my cross slide wheel and made new carriage jibs out of brass to replace the stock steel jibs.
I'm going to have to either get a bigger lathe in the future or keep this one and get a small end mill of some sort.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have already found myself wanting a bigger machine several times. Trying to pace myself and learn all I can on this lathe before I go bigger. I've done a few mods to it already. I've done the 4 bolt hold down, added a DRO to track carriage movement, increased the diameter of my cross slide wheel and made new carriage jibs out of brass to replace the stock steel jibs.
I'm going to have to either get a bigger lathe in the future or keep this one and get a small end mill of some sort.
I'm trying to trade a local guy out of an 11" Grizzly, but I'm not sure it's going to work out.

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About what size do they start becoming 3 phase?? There is a local guy that has an old lathe for sale cheap but it's so huge I've stayed away from it. It's not 3 phase but it's roughly a 16" swing with probably a 6' to 8' bed. It would just take up half of my shop.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About what size do they start become 3 phase?? There is a local guy that has an old lathe for sale cheap but it's so huge I've stayed away from it. It's not 3 phase but it's roughly a 16" swing with probably a 6' to 8' bed. It would just take up half of my shop.
I'm not sure about 3 phase....

I don't want anything that big either.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
5:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$70 I'd say is a great deal considering the setup time involved. I'm just in this for the experience and more time on my lathe.

It's not that hard to do once you get your setups down. I takes me a half hour to cut squish and base. Used cylinders can take a bit longer as you have to figure out the wear and dial it in appropriately.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About what size do they start becoming 3 phase?? There is a local guy that has an old lathe for sale cheap but it's so huge I've stayed away from it. It's not 3 phase but it's roughly a 16" swing with probably a 6' to 8' bed. It would just take up half of my shop.
I know you said it was not 3 phase but if you find one that is do not be scared away by it being 3 phase. In general lathes and mills do not have very high horsepower electric motors. You can run them with a converter or I believe a VFD.

In 1982 when the farm equipment industry was booming our school opened a new machine shop. It was outfitted with new Jet equipment. In those days Jet was green in color. I believe it later went to blue and the last I knew it was white. In any event when the instructor retired in 1983 the idiots in charge closed the program and the equipment sat.

In about 1998 they had an auction to sell the equipment. The auctioneer was a decent guy but was clueless about the machines. He advertised them all as 3 phase. The only things 3 phase was the geared head drill press and vertical bandsaw which did not sell. All the lathes and mill were single phase. I told him that and the day of the auction I tried pointing it out to folks. The 10 x 24 bench lathes sold for $400-$500. I think they had 1/2 hp motors. The 14x36 floor lathe did not go much higher

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally getting a little bit of time in the shop today. This weekend I'll be playing catch up also. I love my new job but moving into a management position of a bigger scope and going salary really takes a lot of my saw time.
None the less..... Ernie your saw went onto the work stand today.

Attachments

• IMG20240704145244.jpg
    IMG20240704145244.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG20240704145255.jpg
    IMG20240704145255.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 51

ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally getting a little bit of time in the shop today. This weekend I'll be playing catch up also. I love my new job but moving into a management position of a bigger scope and going salary really takes a lot of my saw time.
None the less..... Ernie your saw went onto the work stand today.
Looking forward to this !

Ernie

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ernie, sir, your saw is going back together. I'm not planning on posting a bunch of pictures. This wasn't really a post intended to be a build thread. I've got a couple of the rough in before I cleaned everything up with sand paper and diamond bits.
I put a little step in the exhaust port. This is the first 372xp I've done that on. Randy wrote up a 372 thread a while back and mentioned the step in the exhaust was worth the effort.
As soon as I can figure how to convert these pictures to a format accepts I'll post a couple.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ernie, sir, your saw is going back together. I'm not planning on posting a bunch of pictures. This wasn't really a post intended to be a build thread. I've got a couple of the rough in before I cleaned everything up with sand paper and diamond bits.
I put a little step in the exhaust port. This is the first 372xp I've done that on. Randy wrote up a 372 thread a while back and mentioned the step in the exhaust was worth the effort.
As soon as I can figure how how to convert these pictures to a format accepts I'll post a couple.
That thread was years ago for sure.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe it was worth doing.
Anything to get it to "fall down" easier/faster including stepping should make it more gooder.
@S&S_Work_Saws Look at the side profile of the exhaust port to see where you have the most "meat" to do your step as sometimes multiples are in order, sometimes not.

ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As soon as I can figure how to convert these pictures to a format accepts I'll post a couple.
Looks good ...I can't wait to get my hands on it!
Ernie

LostinIn

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an older Husky 257 that runs but compression is getting a bit low.
It doesn’t get a lot of use because my 361 runs circles around it so I would love to make it a candidate for your project.