High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Firewood tractors

girlsaxe

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Can you guys give some advice on logging winch size?

Brand spanking new Mahindrda 2655:

Lots of big pro chainsaws:

Devastated by tornado year and a half ago 50 may be seventy five big oaks and walnuts down.

I am looking a Wallenstein, or Farmi winch but not shure if I need, I mean want a 8,500 lbs, or 11,000 lbs model.

Thanks for the advice

Girlsaxe

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Devastated by tornado year and a half ago 50 may be seventy five big oaks and walnuts down.

I am looking a Wallenstein, or Farmi winch but not shure if I need, I mean want a 8,500 lbs, or 11,000 lbs model.

Thanks for the advice

Girlsaxe
that would depend on the size pieces you are planning on pulling with it
but id go with the bigger one for the extra pull

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks for the advice

Girlsaxe

My Kubota is about 500# lighter than your Mahindra, it looks like, both bare weights. I have filled ag tires on mine, so it's probably close to 6000# with the loader. I have a Farmi 351 (7700# line pull). I bought it used. I thought I wanted the bigger one with over 10,000# of pull, but this one showed up on Craigslist. After using it for a few years, I don't think a bigger one would be any advantage on my machine. There's been a few times I hitch up to something and pull the rope and the log doesn't move, the tractor does. So, I don't think I could use much more pull. Also, the bigger winches use bigger, less friendly cable, and the extra winch weight reduces the butt weight you can pick up.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is my problem going to be tractor weight?

I do have a front loader on it and fluid in rear tires.

It will depend on the skid, how well you're anchored versus how reluctant the log is, but yes, with even 8000# of line pull, my experience is that you will sometimes move the tractor instead of the log. The most important things about using one of these winches, is don't stand behind the tractor tire, and mostly you should watch the tractor while glancing at the log, not the other way around.

Yes, you can back up against a small tree or stump to make the tractor more immovable, but you have to remember that these winches can, and have broken tractors before (pulling the rear axle housing right off the machine). I'm not saying that will happen, just that when you're skidding big stuff, using a doubling block and a second anchor point, going slow and being careful is crucial. Frankly, even with my 7700# winch, and ag tires, I can winch stuff that I can't lift and pull, so even if you can get a setup capable of winching a big-a$$ log to your machine safely and without wrecking anything, then what are you gonna do?

If you're just cutting for firewood and cleanup, cut the logs a little shorter, take smaller bites, at least at first.

woodfarmer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks for the advice

Girlsaxe
I have the farmi 501 at 725lbs and 11000 lb pull on a much larger tractor.
I would probably go with the next size down. I don’t think you can go wrong with the wallenstein either. Canadian made.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like lots of sound advice :).
Got the last of this black locust to the woodpile today, I even got one nice log too. It was from 4 that grew up together and were taken down in a wind storm what had just over a yr ago. The kids were playing on it so I left it, but needing to put the chicken coop and a run in this area so it was time for it to go.
20201228_133759.jpg 20201228_114639.jpg 20201223_150415.jpg 20201223_140501.jpg

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, that Kubota is really earning its keep!
Workem if you gotten lol.
Yesterday.
L3800
20201229_174937.jpg
B2920
20201229_155058.jpg
Little load in the little bucket.
The pile is about 8' tall.
20201229_163210.jpg
Pushed on this dead elm with the L3800 to loosen up the roots(been pushing on it since this summer to get moisture into the roots), then used the skidding winch to pull it over and rip the root ball out.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice job, Chipper. Looking good. Just added a carry all for my New Holland. I can carry the saws, gas, oil and wood that I buck in the woods. Slapped a hitch on there also to tow the wood splitter. View attachment 274972 View attachment 274973 Not sure why I waited this long.
That's awesome, I need a spot for a couple saws myself.
Getting ready to drop a nice sized locust today, the tractor will be used to pull it off its lean. Then dice it up and clear the snow and fill a little more and mover the chicken coop with the tractor. It's right at the limit of the tractor, a nice set of SSQD forks would lighten the front a lot, but it would also lighten my wallet :risas3:.
Where you at in the mitten?

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's awesome, I need a spot for a couple saws myself.
Getting ready to drop a nice sized locust today, the tractor will be used to pull it off its lean. Then dice it up and clear the snow and fill a little more and mover the chicken coop with the tractor. It's right at the limit of the tractor, a nice set of SSQD forks would lighten the front a lot, but it would also lighten my wallet :risas3:.
Where you at in the mitten?

A set of quick attach forks was the first thing I bought after I got my Kubota. I use them way more than my bucket. Crucial piece of equipment. I just about guarantee that you'll forget all about the price after using them a few times.

I also welded some 3 point pins on mine, so I can use them on the back of my tractors. Can't lift as high, obviously, but they get used that way a lot. My 3 point can lift more than my loader can, and with zero stress on the front axle compared to using them on the loader.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A set of quick attach forks was the first thing I bought after I got my Kubota. I use them way more than my bucket. Crucial piece of equipment. I just about guarantee that you'll forget all about the price after using them a few times.

I also welded some 3 point pins on mine, so I can use them on the back of my tractors. Can't lift as high, obviously, but they get used that way a lot. My 3 point can lift more than my loader can, and with zero stress on the front axle compared to using them on the loader.
The screw on ones work okay and I've been making them work for yrs now, so until I find a set in a lot buy deal or get some real cheap I'll probably be okay. My new to me little bota doesn't have the SSQA setup, so I will still be using the screw on type on there for now, but if I got a quick attach for I'd be very tempted to convert that one also.
Thats a great idea welding the pins onto them, do you have a hydraulic top link.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The screw on ones work okay and I've been making them work for yrs now, so until I find a set in a lot buy deal or get some real cheap I'll probably be okay. My new to me little bota doesn't have the SSQA setup, so I will still be using the screw on type on there for now, but if I got a quick attach for I'd be very tempted to convert that one also.
Thats a great idea welding the pins onto them, do you have a hydraulic top link.

Yes sir, I added a hydraulic top link to both of my tractors, and a side link to my Kubota while I was at it. I added 3 remote valves to my Kubota a couple winters ago. I lucked out and someone on tractorbynet who had the same machine did a super detailed write up of adding 3 remotes and doing a diy top and tilt setup, part numbers and everything. I think 3 remotes and the cylinders was under $1100. It's super handy having hydraulic controls for those functions. Even just for hooking up implements it saves a lot of time. Using the box blade with forward/back, side to side, and hydraulic rippers is really slick. It's made me totally spoiled!