Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@luckydad

Looking good. A grapple is definitely on my short list for implements. That's the problem with implements, though: they aren't cheap, and you need all of them!

Based on those front tires, it looks like you've gotten a lot of use outta that 7040.

Thanks for sharing your pics!

luckydad

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir, we have 3540 hrs as of this week. I'd say 85% of those hrs are grapple use. It's time for a new clutch this winter, just hope it lasts till December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir, we have 3540 hrs as of this week. I'd say 85% of those hrs are grapple use. It's time for a new clutch this winter, just hope it lasts till December.

I'm a tractor guy myself, but I'm wondering, for the sake of conversation, if you're doing so much grapple work, why did you choose a tractor over a skid steer?

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Low impact on lawns.
I'd really like to have an A300/A770 bobcat all wheel steer unit, for our work. I feel they cost to much tho...

Makes perfect sense. I see you've got a box blade on it in some pictures. Are there any other three point attachments you use for tree service jobs?

luckydad

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No sir just the box blade for the extra weight on the rear.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's one of my tractor today. I added a hitch receiver to my Farmi winch. I then added a tow bar to my Jeep. And a hitch to that too. I also made a little log wagon out of an extra set of running gear and some 4" square tubing I had laying around.
rps20161112_142613_446.jpg

Now, when I go cut wood at the neighbor's place, i can bring everything I need in one trip. Also, if I need to run home, or into town, I can take the Jeep.

Obviously I'd never tow a loaded trailer in this configuration, but for shuttling the empty trailer, I think it has potential.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I'm a bit behind on firewood duty (as usual). We went to a wedding in Georgia, and made a road trip out of it. Had a nice time, of course, but missed some good days in the woods.

Anyway, had a friend over yesterday and we felled a couple of dead-standing American elms and a decent sized ash. My woods is pretty dense hardwoods, so I usually set a choker as high as I can reach with a ladder and hitch my winch cable to it. Sometimes it's not needed, but more often than not the tree I'm after gets hung up. It's very convenient to just pull it over with the winch while standing a safe distance away. I hate having to nibble away at a hinge and roll the trunk, or try to slide the trunk off the stump. I like keeping my distance. :)

So, I didn't get any action shots, but here's a couple of twitches I pulled this morning. First a few 8' elm logs (these were actually from a blow down that happened last summer). rps20161210_144024_821.jpg

Thena decent sized elm log from our session yesterday. I didn't measure it, but I'd say it's about 18-20" diameter at the base and maybe 32-35' long, thereabouts, anyway. rps20161210_144202_758.jpg

I got this one bucked into 8'ers and stacked off the ground. I hoped to get the rest of them out before the snow tonight (4-8" in the forecast), but I didn't make it happen. Too bad, because this is just perfect skidding weather. The ground is pretty well frozen, and there's not a bunch of snow to mess with. I could use about 2 more weeks like today.

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
6:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Waldon front end loader that works great! Bought a set of forks for it as well. Like the tight turning and minimal impact on the lawn when turning. Can lift a lot as well. Thing is built like a tank.

c602ad799babdd3466488387b9edf7bd.jpg