High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Finally started this McCulloch BP-1 project, need some parts and advice....

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found them, got a bag of them. Measure .506" in diameter.

Used these on my 790 as I had ported it, so new plugs were required to seal off the passages.

Wonder how I did transfers on that saw? Wasn't hard. Didn't need a right angle piece to do it like the newer ones require.

Edit: If these will fit, send a pm with address and how many you need. (got about 20 or so of them)

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sent a metering and a fuel pump diaphragm to Joe Salva some time ago hoping to get some part reproduced for the BP-1 carburetor but I haven't heard back. McCulloch used that same carburetor on the 170 Welder.

Mark
I believed I talked with Joe (Sugar Creek Saw Shop?) about that project, that was over a year ago.

For now, I've given up. I'm going to try converting a Tillotson HS to fit. I already made an adapter plate, I'm going to fabricate a carb box myself and do a cable throttle linkage. I have it all planned out in my head, just gotta do it now. As soon as I get this thing back together I'll get to work on that.

Here's the adapter plate. Still have to drill it for the carburetor mounting holes and the impulse circuit, I'll do that once I decide exactly which carburetor I'm going to try.

20170608_210209.jpeg

Last edited:

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found them, got a bag of them. Measure .506" in diameter.

Used these on my 790 as I had ported it, so new plugs were required to seal off the passages.

Wonder how I did transfers on that saw? Wasn't hard. Didn't need a right angle piece to do it like the newer ones require.

Edit: If these will fit, send a pm with address and how many you need. (got about 20 or so of them)
I'll measure the transfers when I get home later this evening, I really appreciate it!

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What size hs tillotson are you planning on using?
Not sure yet, if I'm not mistaken the BP-1 is somewhere around 48cc? (off the top of my head), so maybe try the same that were used on the old Stihl 041's (because I have like 30 of them), do you have a suggestion?

I'm open for ideas, fellas......I'm just a redneck engineer....lol

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
3:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm I'm not mistaken the bp-1 has a governor to prevent over speed. I'm not sure what the limits are on them but I believe they were recalled to be destroyed by McCulloch because they would over speed and explode. I'm all for this carb swap just don't want anybody to get hurt. I know Mark had that bp-399t around 22,000. That is a cool sound!

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm I'm not mistaken the bp-1 has a governor to prevent over speed. I'm not sure what the limits are on them but I believe they were recalled to be destroyed by McCulloch because they would over speed and explode. I'm all for this carb swap just don't want anybody to get hurt. I know Mark had that bp-399t around 22,000. That is a cool sound!
Yes I've heard that, but I've never heard what governed the RPM. Is it something in the coil?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
1:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Not sure yet, if I'm not mistaken the BP-1 is somewhere around 48cc? (off the top of my head), so maybe try the same that were used on the old Stihl 041's (because I have like 30 of them), do you have a suggestion?

I'm open for ideas, fellas......I'm just a redneck engineer....lol
They're 44cc, so I'd think of a carb for a hotrod saw around that size.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll be careful when the time comes to open her up.......let's focus on getting to that point for now though. Lol

The BP-1 carb is a unique one for sure, I think McCulloch made a welder that used the same carburetor? I have one original carb that's stripped down and in a bag awaiting rebuild, it has a unique circuit inside it that very well may be the governor. I didn't study it enough yet to know for sure.

I wish there was some more detailed literature out there in regards to the whole BP-1 story, namely understanding EXACTLY what they were doing to be recalled and the whole project abandoned, but there just isn't a whole lot of info out there, at least that ive found yet.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
1:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'll be careful when the time comes to open her up.......let's focus on getting to that point for now though. Lol

The BP-1 carb is a unique one for sure, I think McCulloch made a welder that used the same carburetor? I have one original carb that's stripped down and in a bag awaiting rebuild, it has a unique circuit inside it that very well may be the governor. I didn't study it enough yet to know for sure.

I wish there was some more detailed literature out there in regards to the whole BP-1 story, namely understanding EXACTLY what they were doing to be recalled and the whole project abandoned, but there just isn't a whole lot of info out there, at least that ive found yet.
They discontinued because they feared one would grenade in the hands of a consumer.
There's was once a time when the experts believed you'd die if you traveled faster than 70mph in a vehicle.

TALLGUY

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sent a metering and a fuel pump diaphragm to Joe Salva some time ago hoping to get some part reproduced for the BP-1 carburetor but I haven't heard back. McCulloch used that same carburetor on the 170 Welder.

Mark
Joe just got my Reed Prentice parts back to me. Only 4 years to the day. It sounds like he has been plugging away on projects.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joe just got my Reed Prentice parts back to me. Only 4 years to the day. It sounds like he has been plugging away on projects.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes, he talked with me about the many projects he has going on. He seems like a great guy when we talked last year, we talked on the phone for quite a while, and I'm not a telephone guy.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As usual the only prints I have for that saw are on micro fiche .Larry Steiner had one that didn't run and he usually come hell or high water gets them running given enough time .Dan Henry might have one also but I haven't seen either one of them on line in years I do remember the carb is a one of because of the boost cylinder that charges the power cylinder .I also think McCulloch made a lager version of that design for a snow mobile engine . McBob might have had one but he's no longer among the living .

Last edited: