Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
5:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy folks.

This thread starts with an 064 I sold a young fella starting out in contract fencing.
I rebuilt the saw from a split case, replacing anything that needed to be replaced.

I ran a tank or 2 through the saw after the rebuild to ensure it ran well before sale.

He rang me a day after he bought it saying it kept cutting out and now was completely dead.

I told him to bring it back and I could fix it, as he had paid good money for it on the premise it had been rebuilt and was good to go.

I removed the top cover and spark plug and held my breath as I looked in the cylinder........ still perfect and wet with oil.
With the spark plug out I put some wire in the in the spark plug boot and held it just above the cylinder top and pulled the motor over. No spark.
Fitted up a new lead and boot and still no spark so the old unlimited coil was dead.

I might post it to @jmssaws so he cant say he has never seen one :)

I told him he could leave it with me to fix or I could give him his money back. He couldn't believe I offered him this and said most blokes would tell him bad luck, have fun with it.
I told him I am not like that and would not be able to sleep at night knowing I had ripped off a young bloke trying to get a start at making a living.

I fitted up another old unlimited coil and matching flywheel I had here and it made no spark either.
cursing my bad luck, I fitted up a new lead and boot and it then pulled long bright blue sparks.

Happy again.

Fitted it all up and took it out to my parents farm to test it sectioning up some big log round quarters that the 22 tonne splitter wont split.

I had a lot of trouble getting it tuned and when it sat to idle it would hunt up and down, revving high then dropping off rich for a couple seconds then back up high and lean again.

When i got it home I found It had been happy running with L at 2 turns and H and 1/2 turn.
That told me it was sucking air at idle, and I needed to add more fuel with the L screw to get it to idle and was probably pooling the extra fuel while idling and then sucking it up causing the rich bog for a few seconds and then back to idle speed again.

I pulled the carb apart again and it was fine.

I then turned my attention to the intake boot.

It was the original OEM boot that came with the saw and was hole free and very flexible so I put it back in during the initial rebuild.
The issue I found was that the metal plate and gasket that seats on the back of the 064 carb would not push down flush to the rubber intake boot because the bulges on the sides where the carb mount rods sit were larger than the indents in the metal plate.

This in turn, i suspect, was pulling the boot inwards as the metal bracket pushed back on the boot humps when the carb was tightened down.
It had slots on the rubber that would have made a nice passage to let extra air in at idle, bypassing the carb.

See below how the metal humps bite into the boot humps as opposed to sitting over them:

WP_20160708_18_48_41_Pro.jpg

See below the slits in the OEM 064 intake that would enlarge inward and the boot was pushed back when tightened:
WP_20160708_18_48_54_Pro.jpg

I fitted an OEM 066 boot which has a smaller rubber flange surface but was plenty big enough to seal.
The 064 metal plate sat over this perfectly and pushed down flush to seal without pressure applied.

WP_20160708_19_18_55_Pro.jpg

I bolted it all back together, set the carb screws to 1 and 1 turns and off she went like a new one.

I will give it another test tomorrow arvo to make sure its fixed before returning it to the owner.

Last edited:

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like this thread to used by folks to post up how they fault find issues, their reasons behind what they do, methods, tricks of the trade, special tools, whatever.

Make it an educational catalogue of 2 stroke fault finding knowledge.

Cheers

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy folks.

This thread starts with an 064 I sold a young fella starting out in contract fencing.
I rebuilt the saw from a split case, replacing anything that needed to be replaced.

I ran a tank or 2 through the saw after the rebuild to ensure it ran well before sale.

He rang me a day after he bought it saying it kept cutting out and now was completely dead.

I told him to bring it back and I could fix it, as he had paid good money for it on the premise it had been rebuilt and was good to go.

I removed the top cover and spark plug and held my breath as I looked in the cylinder........ still perfect and wet with oil.
With the spark plug out I put some wire in the in the spark plug boot and held it just above the cylinder top and pulled the motor over. No spark.
Fitted up a new lead and boot and still no spark so the old unlimited coil was dead.

I might post it to @jmssaws so he cant say he has never seen one :)

I told him he could leave it with me to fix or I could give him his money back. He couldn't believe I offered him this and said most blokes would tell him bad luck, have fun with it.
I told him I am not like that and would not be able to sleep at night knowing I had ripped off a young bloke trying to get a start at making a living.

I fitted up another old unlimited coil and matching flywheel I had here and it made no spark either.
cursing my bad luck, I fitted up a new lead and boot and it then pulled long bright blue sparks.

Happy again.

Fitted it all up and took it out to my parents farm to test it sectioning up some big log round quarters that the 22 tonne splitter wont split.

I had a lot of trouble getting it tuned and when it sat to idle it would hunt up and down, revving high then dropping off rich for a couple seconds then back up high and lean again.

When i got it home I found It had been happy running with L at 2 turns and H and 1/2 turn.
That told me it was sucking air at idle, and I needed to add more fuel with the L screw to get it to idle and was probably pooling the extra fuel while idling and then sucking it up causing the rich bog for a few seconds and then back to idle speed again.

I pulled the carb apart again and it was fine.

I then turned my attention to the intake boot.

It was the original OEM boot that came with the saw and was hole free and very flexible so I put it back in during the initial rebuild.
The issue I found was that the metal plate and gasket that seats on the back of the 064 carb would not push down flush to the rubber intake boot because the bulges on the sides where the carb mount rods sit were larger than the indents in the metal plate.

This in turn, i suspect, was pulling the boot inwards as the metal bracket pushed back on the boot humps when the carb was tightened down.
It had slots on the rubber that would have made a nice passage to let extra air in at idle, bypassing the carb.

See below how the metal humps bite into the boot humps as opposed to sitting over them:

View attachment 26665

See below the slits in the OEM 064 intake that would enlarge inward and the boot was pushed back when tightened:
View attachment 26666

I fitted an OEM 066 boot which has a smaller rubber flange surface but was plenty big enough to seal.
The 064 metal plate sat over this perfectly and pushed down flush to seal without pressure applied.

View attachment 26667

I bolted it all back together, set the carb screws to 1 and 1 turns and off she went like a new one.

I will give it another test tomorrow arvo to make sure its fixed before returning it to the owner.

Looks like the coil failing may have saved the top end for you! The new owner may not have caught that air leak. Good job!
And a great idea for a thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was an odd one.

The saw ran great in the cut but just played up at idle.

Anyway. I am not calling it till I run it tomorrow and get it hot but with it kicking up like it did with the carb set where it should be, I am quietly confident.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of my working life, my work has involved fault finding.
I have a logical mind and tend to think things through, breaking them down to the basics.

With any issue you will have symptoms and and faults.
If our job is to find the fault, we need to read the symptoms and make a decision based on knowledge.

The symptom was the alternating idle speed and the saw needing two turns of L to idle.

We then need to think of what would cause this extra fuel requirement.

knowing a 2 stroke motor needs a set fuel/air ratio to run properly, if we need more fuel and the carb is good, then we must be getting more unwanted air from somewhere.

simple

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
2:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have seen lots of limited coils just none in person and I see lots of 064's.

I always change the carb housing to the newer style of carb flange,the style you have is problematic.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very good job being a stand up guy and a honest repair guy.you will likely get more business because of it. It's embarrassing to have a comeback but it's all how you handle it which makes all the difference.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
2:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Everyone I've tried using the flat metal flange on leaked unless I use sealor.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good one Brewz.... I reckon I know who that guy will buy his next saw from as his business grows. Its a story he'll tell his friends.
Yeah that's the idea.
He also has a friend with a stash of dead and dying big Huskys and is going to give him my number.
He came and got it this arvo and was really happy.

I was sad to see it go after all that. I ended up getting it running really good with a muffler mod.
It as strong, if not stronger than the MS660 I was testing after rebuild as well

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bit that hurts is that I no longer have an unlimited coil and flywheel for my 064 build I had planned, and its going to cost me $150+ to get replacement bits off evilbay

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea that hurts but hopefully you can recover that later with this customer or his referals. If he had it a little longer I probably would have tried to get customer to buy some of the parts.