HELP! 029 carb leaking - pressure test?

Bob95065

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am working on an early 029 that has ben a nightmare rebuild. I have it back together and it has an erratic idle. This was confusing because it passed a pressure/vacuum test. I had it running and sprayed some brake cleaner around the carburetor and the engine died. This makes sense because the carb was replaced with a block off plate for the test..

How do you test a carburetor? I did rebuild it. I want to determine if the carburetor is the problem or the OEM intake boot I put on it before I buy another boot.

Thanks.

Bob

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The very best way to find out if the carb is at fault is to get one off a working 029 and try it. If the saw runs fine you know you had a problem with the old carburetor. I did that with ignition modules only this morning.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am working on an early 029 that has ben a nightmare rebuild. I have it back together and it has an erratic idle. This was confusing because it passed a pressure/vacuum test. I had it running and sprayed some brake cleaner around the carburetor and the engine died. This makes sense because the carb was replaced with a block off plate for the test..

How do you test a carburetor? I did rebuild it. I want to determine if the carburetor is the problem or the OEM intake boot I put on it before I buy another boot.

Thanks.

Bob