Experimenting on a Saw...

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
2:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My brother talked with some folks at Garrett and they had no options for us. Stock carb is sufficient?

I would imagine you would match the fuel delivery to the turbo. I really haven't messed with one as all my stuff is diesel. I do know a guy who has one on an MTA but I haven't talked to him lately.

exSW

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We wanted to put one on our Farmall Cub

Hamster wheel perhaps? Sorry that was uncharitable. And I'm wearing an IH shirt as I peck. I'm not a Cub fan, the best way to improve performance is to find an "A". All the implements will fit.

Last edited:

exSW

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my limited knowledge of turbo and supercharging the number one mistake is to much blower. You have to build your fuel delivery to your blower capacity first. You can't just force more air and expect great things.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you pressurized the case that would defeat the fuel pump diaphragm thus getting no fuel. Maybe someone already said that though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good one! As well as the metering diaphragms ability to meter fuel, could be added right to that, I would think.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Can't pressurize it until the intake closes...you would have to run the boost directly into the crank case and time it to pressurize only when the intake is closed to prevent it from back feeding through the carb. It's the only way it would work and the carb would probably need to be tuned stupid rich and it will never idle. This is a fun conundrum...:)

Not necessarily.... Remember Johns turbo-charged Indy 650?? That is a piston ported triple cylinder... 2-strokes certainly can be boosted, but it has to be done right. Trubo kits for sleds was somewhat popular for those who could afford them back in the early 90's. I recall he had to have a "boost fuel" delivery system that would increase fuel once a certain predetermined intake pressure was reached, and had to run boost lines to the throttle slide caps of each carb as the boost would overpower the throttle slide springs and hold the throttles wide open... Alot of things to consider with forced induction on a 2-stroke, but it does work.

The biggest issue I see going on with this saw experiment is he is boosting before the engine is even calling for it. In my mind for a usable setup, boost should be built as power demand and engine RPM increases. And still there is the need for alot more fuel supply as boost increases, which is probably why he can't get it to run.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you pressurized the case that would defeat the fuel pump diaphragm thus getting no fuel. Maybe someone already said that though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hadn't thought if that, good point...

I suspect good reason as to why we don't have factory offerings of turbo-charged chainsaws... your average 50cc would weigh 40 pounds! LOL!

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On snowmobiles with aftermarket turbos, I believe they use a fuel pump with a regulator that changes with manifold pressure. If the entire fuel system including the fuel tank was in an air box, it may just work....or possibly a big BANG!

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know it won't work because all position diaphragm carbs are more complex than these nitro car carbs but, we can dream:cool:View attachment 62544

I dabbled in nitro powered RC a little bit several years ago... I had no idea they make blowers for them!! I think you posted that tongue-in-cheek but in all reality it probably is the best chance of forced induction on a saw!

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
On snowmobiles with aftermarket turbos, I believe they use a fuel pump with a regulator that changes with manifold pressure. If the entire fuel system including the fuel tank was in an air box, it may just work....or possibly a big BANG!

That and I believe my friend's turboed Indy 650 utilized custom installed power jets in the carbs, not unlike you will find in automotive carbs. Going on memory here from 7 or 8 years ago when he told me how everything had to be set up... But I think those custom power jets were the delivery system for the extra fuel when boost hit a certain point.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
back when i was a lil feller somebody gave me a 610 mc brick and i had a bunch of old mini mac carbs and 1/2" copper pipe and elbows,tees etc..i was building a 4 barrel intake for it and decided i hated mcbricks.anyway thats how i got started in plumbing and small engines.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think if you had one of thesedownload.jpg
In line some how the you could get the saw going then have this kick in when needed