High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Electric chainsaws safer?

Are battery chainsaws safer than electric/battery?

• Yes

• No

• It depends

Results are only viewable after voting.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
6:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think in most instances they are safer, but they are still dangerous. I think they'll become a big hit with arborists (no pull starting stuff while you're up in the tree), but I don't imagine Clearcut will be using one for production falling anytime soon.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
2:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe the chaps thing is just a myth. I can't find anything definitive.

Edit: Maybe some of the "big" corded electric saws could actually make it through the chaps? Just watched a Stihl, Dewalt, and Ryobi battery saws all get stalled by chainsaw chaps.

@Philbert

I'm sure I’ve seen a vid or two, battery saws cutting through chain pants, but when I need to find them. I can't :(.
Anyhow I did find ones showing chain pants stopping the battery saw. :rolleyes:

so I'm, not sure if it’s a myth or not. But I’m happy to be corrected ;).

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of the people I've seen buy e-saws are women or elderly fellows. People that can't start a gas saw. In these cases, I don't think the saw is the dangerous component.

Your poll should read E vs Gas.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the hands of experienced people, for limbing and brushing, I can see a benefit. A woman sees one of these in the store, "I can use one of these for cleaning up the edge of the yard. Oh, then I need a new pair of tennis shoes,... and some new shorts,... and look at these pretty gardening gloves."
There's your ppe.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
In the hands of experienced people, for limbing and brushing, I can see a benefit. A woman sees one of these in the store, "I can use one of these for cleaning up the edge of the yard. Oh, then I need a new pair of tennis shoes,... and some new shorts,... and look at these pretty gardening gloves."
There's your ppe.
I see far more men using chainsaws in shorts and athletic shoes than I do women. Men are equally unlikely to wear PPE. However I do agree, electric saws do present more opportunity to say "I'll just make one cut, no need for all the PPE"

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A woman sees one of these in the store, "I can use one of these for cleaning up the edge of the yard. Oh, then I need a new pair of tennis shoes,... and some new shorts,... and look at these pretty gardening gloves."
I know a number of highly skilled and highly qualified women sawyers, and I'll leave it at that.

However I do agree, electric saws do present more opportunity to say "I'll just make one cut, no need for all the PPE"
Interesting that convenience can lead to less safe actions.

There was a time when I wore little or no PPE. After I started teaching chainsaw safety classes, a 'little voice' in my head started telling me that someone was going to take a photo of me cutting without it and post it all over the Internet: more fear of embarrassment than fear of injury.

One of the ways I address that is to make the PPE convenient, both in location and type. I have some heavy, hot, full wrap chaps that I wear when doing storm clean up type cutting, but also some lighter, apron chaps that are easy to don for a few quick cuts in the yard, especially when it's hot outside. Also keep the PPE near the saws. It becomes a matter of habit.

Philbert

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know a number of highly skilled and highly qualified women sawyers, and I'll leave it at that.

Interesting that convenience can lead to less safe actions.

There was a time when I wore little or no PPE. After I started teaching chainsaw safety classes, a 'little voice' in my head started telling me that someone was going to take a photo of me cutting without it and post it all over the Internet: more fear of embarrassment than fear of injury.

One of the ways I address that is to make the PPE convenient, both in location and type. I have some heavy, hot, full wrap chaps that I wear when doing storm clean up type cutting, but also some lighter, apron chaps that are easy to don for a few quick cuts in the yard, especially when it's hot outside. Also keep the PPE near the saws. It becomes a matter of habit.

Philbert
Once upon a time I was a "safety third" kind of guy, but I've grown a lot since then.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry. I did not mean to offend women with my post. I work on saws for some, who were brought up on a farm, cutting wood also. They use ppe and common sense too. The e-saws just make it easier for anyone that is inexperienced to get hurt. I was just trying to be funny to get my point across.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry. I did not mean to offend women with my post. I work on saws for some, who were brought up on a farm, cutting wood also. They use ppe and common sense too. The e-saws just make it easier for anyone that is inexperienced to get hurt. I was just trying to be funny to get my point across.
It was me pokin fun.