Battery Powered Chainsaws and Chaps

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The reactions I get to battery-powered chainsaws follow a fairly predictable sequence:
1. That is not a REAL chainsaw!
(then I show them how much I can cut with it).

2. Those are MORE dangerous than a gas chainsaw because chaps won't stop them!
(um, I thought you said they were just a toy?)

3. How long does the battery last?
(often followed by, 'How much do they cost?')

In reference to comment #2, I did one, informal test with an Oregon 40V saw, and a pair of retired chaps at one of the Iowa GTGs a few years back. The fibers in the 20 year old chaps jammed up the bar nose sprocket, and tripped the saw's cut-out circuit, before cutting all the way through the chaps. But that was just one test; just one time.

So I was pleased to recently see this video, posted by Clogger, a NZ based manufacturer of chaps, and chainsaw protective pants.

***As with any PPE, chaps are not guaranteed to prevent cuts from every saw in every situation. They are intended to be used, along with good work practices, to reduce the risk or extent of injury.

From the STIHL website: "WARNING FOR CORDED ELECTRIC AND BATTERY CHAINSAW USERS! The fibers may not stop the sprocket on most corded electric chainsaws and some battery-powered chainsaws because of the constant high torque. However, to reduce the severity of injury from accidental contact with the chain, STIHL recommends that leg protection be worn when operating these types of chainsaws."

Philbert

Last edited:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your 3 step program makes me chuckle because that was me all over the place when I first saw the warning about chaps and electric saws (maybe not step 3 so much)

Reading that was one of those WTH moments

I appreciate the video as well cause I love it when other folks destroy spendy stuff in the name of science...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate the video as well cause I love it when other folks destroy spendy stuff in the name of science...
FYI, if you are inclined to do a similar demonstration / experiment at a GTG, be forewarned that the fibers tend to really jam up the nose sprocket on the guide bar. If you are not prepared to replace the bar (or RSN tip), check out this thread on A.S., which shows the aftermath of my demonstration:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/nose-sprocket-rescue-illustrated.256640/

Philbert

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI, if you are inclined to do a similar demonstration / experiment at a GTG, be forewarned that the fibers tend to really jam up the nose sprocket on the guide bar. If you are not prepared to replace the bar (or RSN tip), check out this thread on A.S., which shows the aftermath of my demonstration:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/nose-sprocket-rescue-illustrated.256640/

Philbert

Yikes

Granted if you actually had a close call in the woods I am sure the thought of the work entailed above would not even enter into the equation

But knowing that after the fact the bound up bar situation can be salvaged relatively cheaply is comforting because you are probably going to be shelling out $100 + for new chaps as well

Thanks as always for all your experimentation

HuskyHead

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Yea our company wouldn’t let the lineman have them to start because of the chap issue as well. So a few guys took a couple pair of chaps strapped them to a pole and took a saw to them….Amazingly it stopped!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had some wind storms and tornadoes blow through in the past few days: felt very frustrated that I had this 'work' thing, with a 'schedule', limiting what I could do to help, even though it was close by. Was able to help a friend with a large cherry tree down, into a neighbor's yard today. All battery-powered removal: pole saw and chainsaw. Made for a quieter response on a suburban cul-de-sac. Wore my chaps with the chainsaw.

Philbert