High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Eaton 771 Hydrostatic Rebuild - Gruesome Pics - Advice please..

Greenthorn

Least Informed OPE Member
Local time
10:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, so I got my pump out and apart, final drive gears have been crushed and ground down, not pretty!:(
Hoping that the pump itself is salvageable. :)
I am hoping to buy a used final drive and slap on it, grasshopper want 1200 just for the final drive.
I need advice and opinions on several things, so all you hydraulic gurus give me a hand.
One, basically is it worth it?
I am fearing that there is probably fine metal parts throughout the hydraulic system, is that assumption correct?
I would have no idea to get these bits n pieces flushed out if there is even a way? Is there?
I was just going to flush everything thru the system with diesel fuel and then run more hydraulic fluid thru the system, dumb idea?
I am also kind of in the same boat as @FullChisel states, nobody around here will work on them, unless you have a bunch of money, understandable.
So alas....pics......:shocked:

eaton1.JPG eaton1.JPG eaton2.JPG eaton2.JPG

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
5:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Maybe just get a replacement... If you have gears that are destroyed you can count on those particles going through the entire system. At a minimum you'll need a shop manual. Here's one on eBay.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=140368803904&alt=web

Here is a PDF for parts info from Eaton.
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pll_1623.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwikm9D2xMjLAhXV1I4KHVVKAJIQFggkMAA&sig2=poATzYaRduF-XACJMuaq8g&usg=AFQjCNG1yO0ugQYGsDswpmhg-84UwKTbUw

Here is a PDF from Eaton on repair info.
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@hyd/documents/content/pll_1620.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwikm9D2xMjLAhXV1I4KHVVKAJIQFggmMAE&sig2=AT2lNZ2A__Mt5iZZc6aW6A&usg=AFQjCNGCveDzaewSUkhBrvvS4bw8GVnBCw

Their web site seems helpful, start looking.
http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Hydraulics/Transmissions/PCT_261209#tabs-2

Google is your friend, I see some forums with titles about rebuilding them. At this point you'll need to disassemble everything and rinse it in diesel or a parts washer IMO and reassemble with new bearings and bushings ect...

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the links, I guess I should have said that I have been googling the crap out of my issue, several forums discussed rebuilding them, I never could find answers about how this would affect the rest of the hydraulic system.
Wouldn't it depend on how the hydraulics was pressured thru the pump, if I had to clean everything? It does have that filter on there, but I cant tell if the parts that were disintegrated went in that filter, or if the fluid was forced back into the reservoir tank?
I did fill tank back up, and drained fluid and did not find any metal, not to say that there wasn't any, just didn't see it, I just don't look forward to tearing every single hydraulic part apart if that is not needed, but I am just clueless. I am hoping to not scrap this mower out, it is one of those things that money may well be spent on a new mower? This mower has 2 of the eatons on there and dissembling both just to clean....hhmmmm?

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IDK the direction of fluid flow. If the contaminated oil had to pass through/by bushings and bearings on its way to the filter then they are at risk of being damaged/degraded. At very best everything should be cleaned and inspected IMO. Same idea if your flat tappet cam motor ate a lobe off the cam, the entire engine is now contaminated and needs to be cleaned and bearings replaced.

BTW, I saw a set of planet gears on ebay for about $80

dgeesaman

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Usually the reservoir is "after" the pump and motor. The filter is after the reservoir but before the pump. So I'd look for metal in the reservoir. Just wrap a magnet in a plastic bag and swirl it around in the bottom.

How do the bearings look in this?

How did it fail?

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually the reservoir is "after" the pump and motor. The filter is after the reservoir but before the pump. So I'd look for metal in the reservoir. Just wrap a magnet in a plastic bag and swirl it around in the bottom.

How do the bearings look in this?

How did it fail?

Secondary ring gear snapped while I was on a very steep incline, mower continued to descend another 30 feet after it snapped. Every single gear, has at least 2 teeth or more snapped off. The secondary ring gear is in 4 pieces, it is laying underneath the reaction / back up plates in my pictures. Slammed so hard it even cracked the axle housing flange, so right now I am just looking at completely replacing the entire final drive, for there is not 1 single part worth reusing, it is just the damage I may have done to other parts of the hydraulic system I am unsure of. Bearings "appear" unscathed, ( I'm assuming you're talking about the 5 different pump / motor balls.) but I haven't taken that apart yet, so not fer sure.
Grasshopper has little over 2000 hours on it, although it has been maintained regularly, it has had a very rough life mowing very steep hills and inclines.

dgeesaman

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
With those integrated drives, you're getting a new pump on that side too.

So the only question is whether particles have dumped out of the bad side, gotten through the reservoir and filter, and into the opposite pump/motor/transaxle. The reservoir should tell you the story. I expect you will not find metal in your reservoir: so washing out the reservoir, changing the filter, and replacing the return line from the bad side to the reservoir should give you ample coverage against that.

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With those integrated drives, you're getting a new pump on that side too.

Are you saying I should get another pump for that side, because the pump appears fine, and the final drive is what I am assuming is all that needs replaced?

dgeesaman

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm confused. Is $1200 the final drive the whole thing on your tailgate, or just the planetary gearing / drive components that go into it?

dieselfitter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the suction to the hydrostat is filtered, I'll bet the hydrostat portion is fine. The planetary would be "down steam" from the hydrostat.

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perhaps I'm confused. Is $1200 the final drive the whole thing on your tailgate, or just the planetary gearing / drive components that go into it?

The final drive is just the gears and the axel housing, it is 1200 from grasshopper, the pump is NLA, that's why my intentions are to rebuild the pump (on the right side of my tailgate) and replace the final drive (on the left side of my tailgate), I have found a used final drive for 300.:) Sorry to be confusing. Thanks for all the help thus far, but I am still pretty confused myself.:sconf:

Last edited:

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag