Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey all,
I recently picked up an SDM4. The dressers are set up for a very racy chain with a very thin top plate. I’ve hunted the net high and low for the factory angles or what end users have their set to buy have had no luck finding anything. Nothing is listed in Silvey the manual either. I’m cutting East Coast hardwoods. Any advice would be much appreciated.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
6:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your dresser angles may or may not need to change. If the cutter is too sharp for hardwood, advance the tooth stop so the cutter is pointed down more towards the wheel. If the bottom of the wheel hits the tie strap, thin the wheel from the top down and lower the chain holder

BLACKOUT

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your dresser angles may or may not need to change. If the cutter is too sharp for hardwood, advance the tooth stop so the cutter is pointed down more towards the wheel. If the bottom of the wheel hits the tie strap, thin the wheel from the top down and lower the chain holder

I appreciate the input! On a SDM4 the cutter sits on a flat table so you cannot tip a cutter down further on a grinder like a Simington or similar style machine. It can be advanced further forwards or back but that’s it.

The stone/motor is lowered or raised from the table and grinder carriage is brought further out or in to set the corner. I did play with dresser angles a bit and am getting closer to my perfect grind.

BLACKOUT

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 365196

The pic in the upper left shows you what the profile of the wheel will do to the geometry of the cutter.

Thank you! The learning curve to this style of grinder has been a bit tough, it doesn’t help that the owners manual is only about 7 pages long. I have a Simington as well. Because the Silvey motor is not parallel to the ground I’ve found the ideal stone profile is a good bit different than my swing arm.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
6:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate the input! On a SDM4 the cutter sits on a flat table so you cannot tip a cutter down further on a grinder like a Simington or similar style machine. It can be advanced further forwards or back but that’s it.

The stone/motor is lowered or raised from the table and grinder carriage is brought further out or in to set the corner. I did play with dresser angles a bit and am getting closer to my perfect grind.
Yeah I remembered you said sdm4 just after I replied. Not familiar with them other than a few pics from a distance. Supposedly very accurate and repeatable. Don’t know anyone who runs one

Last edited:

BLACKOUT

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad you got things fingered out! It’s been a few years since I’ve operated an SDM4, but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a time or two

Any pics to share of your East Coast Hardwood grind??
Here’s where I settled for right now. If you have any suggestions on how to make it better I’m all ears!

Attachments

• 7F8A7249-7E42-4B1B-A83E-E0FD6BC9EF33.jpeg
    7F8A7249-7E42-4B1B-A83E-E0FD6BC9EF33.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 27
  • CF2FAD9E-5303-4231-B8A2-B7D1C4A24C21.jpeg
    CF2FAD9E-5303-4231-B8A2-B7D1C4A24C21.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 27