chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But the curve is probably narrower. It’s just less forgiving
Which to me is one of the great things about a 79..
As far as carbs go, I have the ported 7900 with a stock carb and the ported 7910 with a modded carb, I like them both. Would be cool to get them both over to Joe's.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I miserably flooded my PS-7310 today.
I knew I should have disengaged choke after the third pull, but didn't.
WOT no choke forced her to life, compression detonation does the trick.
Pictures are from after she came to life, spat a whole lot of fluid out.

IMAG1904.jpg IMAG1905.jpg IMAG1906.jpg

I guess she got a good internal flushing. ;)

From today I have a piece of rope in my chainsaw toolbox, to wrap around the trigger for WOT so I don't have to hold it.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If flooded real bad I do the same, remove & dry plug and while it's out pull saw over half a dozen times with saw upside down. I was livid a few weeks ago too busy at work & missed a tidy Solo 675 @auction that sold for $230!!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't like the idea of repeatedly removing plugs on my saws.
The plug wires tend to be really short and tight, and stripping the cylinder threads is also a concern.
I have saws that I haven't pulled the plugs since I purchased them.

High idle position doesn't do the trick for me, WOT does - within a couple pulls white smoke comes out the muffler from Dieseling and the saw tends to sputter soon after.

Sometimes when my PS-7300 or PS-7310 flood I push the DeCo, pull them over slowly and let them air.
But getting them to pop with the DeCo pushed is tedious, I don't ever use the DeCo on my saws it just feels wrong and takes more pulls.

I noticed that only my large frame Dolmar's flood easily, the others don't show such behaviour.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The plug wires tend to be really short and tight, and stripping the cylinder threads is also a concern.

High idle position doesn't do the trick for me, WOT does - within a couple pulls white smoke comes out the muffler from Dieseling and the saw tends to sputter soon after.

Sometimes when my PS-7300 or PS-7310 flood I push the DeCo, pull them over slowly and let them air.
But getting them to pop with the DeCo pushed is tedious, I don't ever use the DeCo on my saws it just feels wrong and takes more pulls.

I noticed that only my large frame Dolmar's flood easily, the others don't show such behaviour.
My 5100s floods easily too. I have to remind myself to not pull till I hear the motor sputter. 2-3 pulls is enough every time.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have noticed that if I give my cold 6400/7300/7310/7900 a pull no choke/no high idle first, then engage choke+high idle and pull 2-3 times they usually sound off.
If they do not sound off I need to remind myself NOT to pull a fourth time at choke+high idle because then they tend to flood.

Odd behavior on those girls, but every saw is different and that is the beauty of it! :)

Stefaan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Hi Wilhelm

If you don't like the decomp, why not just remove them and plug them up?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Wilhelm

If you don't like the decomp, why not just remove them and plug them up?
Why should I bother me and my saws with taking them apart when "never pushing" that stupid thing does the trick just as well? ;)

I am not one to dismantle a saw for trivial reasons!
It is very easy to ignore the DeCo if You never use it in the first place. :)

Stefaan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not saying that they "always" leak a tiny bit, but they could potentially leak meaning loss in pressure.

Plugged my 7300 because it was low in pressure when i bought it second hand. Took it apart, but no scoring on piston or cylinder. looked mint. Replaced the piston rings while i was in there, but still low psi. Asked a small engine mechanic and told me to plug the decomp. Problem solved. Tested this on other saws, but there wasn't a real significant difference in psi.

Totally not telling you to plug your saw, just wanted to share my story.

FYI, if you plug the decomp, you still have a hole in the top cover. Which looks a bit weird.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sooo, Ya plug a hole creating another hole?! o_O

Yer fanny!!! :D

My PS-7300 & PS-7310 seem to start up just the same as my PS-6400 & PS-7900, so I guess their DeCo valves aren't leaking.
All is good. :)